CHAPTER 35: KIERAN

SHIT HIT THE FAN ONE WEEK AFTER MY MOTHER'S VISIT

I had just walked into my office when I received a text from Kal asking to meet up with him ASAP.

He'd been uncharacteristically absent since our argument last week, but I knew why. I knew where he wanted to meet— I'd been expecting it.

I told my manager to handle things for the night while I was gone and I made it to the abandoned junkyard on the outskirts of town.

I slowed my steps as I walked across the gravel, sure he was watching my every move since I pulled up to the courtyard.

I found him leaning his hip against a rusted Sedan, just as he finished lighting a cigarette.

"Kal." I stopped six feet away, and shoved my hands inside my pockets, the picture of casual indifference.

Kal stood up straight. "It's about time you showed up."

I suppressed the urge to smile. My brother was still a child; he didn't like not getting his way. I could understand his anger; my feelings for Dahlia threw a wrench in his plans. Hell, they threw a wrench in my plans; falling in love with Dahlia was never part of the equation but I did and there was nothing and no one that could take her away from me.

"I always make time for my baby brother.. and my mom." I shifted my gaze over to Alicia who had stepped onto the scene. They were the remaining connections I had to our father, though my gut was telling me that wouldn't be the case for much longer. "Though I'm curious to know why you decided to meet out here. Feeling sentimental?"

A muscle ticked in her jaw. "You're going to finish what we started."

I almost laughed out loud. "Why would I do that?"

"Because." Alicia blew out a puff of smoke before discarding the cigarette to the ground. "I have something you want, and I have a feeling you'd do anything to get it back— including keeping the promise you made to me about spilling the blood of the man who killed your father." She explained.

All those drugs must've finally gotten to her head if she thought I was still going to go through with that.

"Okay, I'll bite," I said indulgently. "What could you possibly have that I would want?"

"Did I say something?" Alicia's eyes darkened. "I meant 'someone.' Bring them out." She barked that last order in Portuguese.

There was a sound of a trunk unlocking, and my blood ran cold when opened the trunk, yanking a bound and gagged girl out and on her feet and a large dark haired man bloody and battered.

Dahlia and Christian.

Dahlia stared at me, fear stamped on every inch of her face.

Christian stared at me with a murderous expression.