CHAPTER 40: DAHLIA

I MANAGED TO CONVINCE MY DAD NOT to kill Kieran

I MANAGED TO CONVINCE MY DAD NOT to kill Kieran. I didn't know how, because he is the same man who threatened to shut a restaurant down because they were no longer serving the vanilla smoothie my mom enjoyed— but I did.

The police also never came and arrested Kieran. Other than my dad promising he "Took care of it" the bodies of former DC nurse Alicia Diaz and her youngest son Kal Diaz were yet to be found. It was like the last nineteen years of my life wasn't a complete lie.

"Chocolate makes everything better." Sofia held out a mug of steaming hot chocolate in my direction.
"Come on, you know you want to drink it." Her face glowed with hope as she waited for my reaction.

My friends became my own personal suicide hotline. Sorry, that was morbid. But after everything I just learned about my father and ex-boyfriend, I think I deserved to be a little morbid.

My friends have been amazing; they tried their best to lift my spirits, but nothing was working and now they were worried.

I was grateful for my friend's support but I needed more time and space. I knew they meant well, but I couldn't think with them breathing down my neck.

"I don't want it." I declined the drink.

White chocolate.

Like the cookies, Kieran spent twenty-five thousand dollars on just to get me to forgive him a lifetime ago.

I don't think I'll ever enjoy white chocolate ever again.

"I know you're upset, but you have to eat something." Jennifer chimed in.

"I'm not hungry." I snapped.

Camila, Sofia, and Jennifer all exchanged glances.
I moved into Aunt Bridget's old house when she was in college; the one she lived in where she met Uncle Rhys for the first time since I couldn't stand living across the hall from Kieran and I couldn't be in the same house as my dad just yet, even though I knew that this rift between my father and I was hurting my mother.

I couldn't look at my father without thinking of Kieran, and thinking Kieran made me feel like I was hit by a truck.

"Halloween is coming up. We should dress up." Camila switched topics. "How about we each go as a different Barbie? I could be President and you could be disco Barbie— you love a good excuse to wear sequins." She teased.

I shook my head.

"Or maybe we could go as Mean Girls? Jen could be Lindsay Lohan and I can be Rachel McAdams."

"Okay." I didn't feel like dressing up, but I knew they wouldn't stop until I agreed to something. "I'm going to go take a nap." I announced and stood up before any of them tried to stop me.

I exhaled loudly once the door shut behind me, relieved to finally be alone and away from the pity stares and constant worry. I knew they meant well, but for just one minute I didn't want to pretend to be okay.