CHAPTER 41: KIERAN

One Week Later

One Week Later

I take a deep breath and hold it in as I grip the door handle to Crumble & Bake. I tried calling Jennifer, and I even went to the preschool where she worked, but I'm told she's on vacation for two weeks. So, Sofia it is, I guess. I'm sure this is a waste of time— the girl has hated me since the moment we met— but I'm desperate.

Pulling the door open, I step inside, music and the smell of baked goods instantly surrounds me. Sofia stands behind the counter with five customers in front of her, and I look around the place, seeing almost every table filled except one or two. It's a pretty typical sight for Crumbl & Bake.

I cracked my neck, bracing myself as I stepped up to the counter.

She sees me and instantly stops pouring coffee as her back stiffens. "Jen, can you finish serve this customer for me?" She calls.

I glance at the other end and notice Dahlia's other friend wiping one of the empty tables. She must be pulling in some extra cash while she's on vacation.
She's collecting cake-filled plates and lipstick-stained mugs when her eyes land on me, her smile instantly falling.

Sofia starts to walk away.

"Wait," I say. "I'm not staying."

"Great. I wasn't going to serve you anyways."

"I just-"

"I'm not going to tell you where she is." She cuts me off.

I see Jennifer watching us, and I take another breath, squaring my shoulders. "I just want to apologize."

"She's heard your apologies," She said curtly. "And she wants me to tell you that you can shove it up your ass."

A customer coughs at the vulgar language and Sofia smiles apologetically at him before glaring at me.

"That doesn't sound like Dahlia."

"Well, I'm sure you can imagine she hasn't been herself these last few days with everything going on."

I take a step closer, dropping my voice. "I need to see her."

"You had her."

Her eyes are still beautiful and dark like two pools of warm milk chocolate, but it's not hard to miss the hatred pouring out of them.

I don't want to upset Dahlia. She asked for space and it's the least I can give her after everything I've put her through. I know she deserves to be happy and if I was a better man I'd let her move on and find someone who deserves her.

But I'm not. This isn't over for me.

I needed her. I needed her more than I needed air to breathe. Without her, I was miserable.

"Please tell her..." I pause, revealing a side of me that only Dahlia ever saw. "I can't live without her."

Sofia doesn't say anything.

I'm about to leave when Jennifer steps in front of Sofia.

"It's been two weeks." She says to Sofia. "And he still looks like shit."

"He was going to kill her." Sofia reminds Jennifer.

"But he killed his brother and mother for her instead," Jennifer retorts. "She walked away once and she can do it again if she wants to. She doesn't need our protection anymore."

Sofia hesitates, shoots me a glare, and finally gives up, walking past Jennifer to go to the backroom.
Jennifer turns to me. "Look, I hope you know I'm breaking just about every girl code right now," She says. "She got accepted into the Rita Halevi Young Designer competition in Spain. She calls and texts every other day and she's staying in her parent's villa in Barcelona. She said she's thinking of doing a semester abroad there as well." She hesitated than shrugged. "Considering everything you put her through, I'm not surprised she's not in a rush to come back."

She won. Pride washes over me. I knew she would.
I guess if Jen said she's calling then she's okay. And this is more information than I thought I was going to get. Her Spring classes starts in eight weeks and she'd be back then unless she went through with taking a semester abroad.

I don't blame her for wanting to be as far away from me as possible. But she had to know there wasn't a crevice on this earth she could run to that I wouldn't follow after her.

I need to find her. I can't wait.

I turn to leave but stop. "What's the address for her parents Villa?"

"Hmm. I can't remember," She said messing with me. "I guess if you really want her you'll find her."

And then she walks away, pleased with herself that she's making this harder for me.

I could call Christian. But that was like asking to be shot in the face. Not that I think he would actually tell me where she is.

Dahlia's mother might be a little more receptive, but I doubt I was her favorite person in the world right now either. Besides, I didn't want them to give Dahlia a heads up and she vanished again.

I needed to speak to her one more time. I needed to tell her that I was sorry.

I need to tell her that her love is the only thing keeping me alive.