CHAPTER 9: DAHLIA

I'M NOT SURE WHAT I EXPECTED MY FIRST DAY OF COLLEGE TO LOOK LIKE, BUT IT EXCEEDED ALL MY EXPECTATIONS

We are not in our bedroom anymore.

This was more than I could ever think or imagine campus life would be like. Midnight blue and white baseball caps and t-shirts jostled for space on top of a table. Food carts lined the grass and the latest hip-hop song blasted in the air.

Large classrooms are filled with students sitting sporadically around the room. Some with the latest laptops, some taking notes on their phone, and others writing notes down the old-school way with paper and pencil.

My professors were all pretty nice— one of them even said we can call him by his first name.

I may be new to the whole college scene, but I don't think that was normal.

I continue to glance around the campus, taking everything in when my eyes fall on a familiar head of blonde hair.

Camila.

I was getting ready to call her over when someone else I recognized suddenly approaches her.
Tall.

Dark-hair.

Sofia's twin brother.

It was Niko.

What the hell were they doing together? Why is Niko grabbing her hand like that? And why isn't Camila pulling away and scrubbing her hand with a hand sanitizer like she did the last time?

I pull out my phone and snap a picture of the two of them, making a mental note to look back at the photo later. Camila would tell us what was going on— if there was anything to tell at all. But seeing the two of them together sparked an idea for my next design.

Camila was order while Niko was chaos.

Camila was pearls while Niko was leather.

What if I could design a dress that could bring the two together?

Something bold and sexy like Niko but elegant and timeless like Camila?

I quickly snap the picture before Camila walked away in the opposite direction, seemingly storming away from Niko.

"Unbelievable. I come all this way and you guys still find me." I hear someone say before my phone is being snatched out of my hand.

I'm stunned for all of two seconds before I react. "Are you insane?" I demand, reaching for my phone but the stranger pulls it out of reach.

"When I chose this university, I was told that nothing like this would happen. I thought this was the one place where I didn't have to worry about people trying to get a photograph." The stranger continues, and note the hint of a British accent.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I have no idea who you are nor do I care." I snap. "I was filming the couple behind you- they're my friends.."

"Oh." He at least had the decency to look embarrassed. It was in that moment that I decided to study him.