Chapter 15 : Dahlia

OUT OF ALL THE WAYS I'D IMAGINED MY SATURDAY NIGHT ending, being hit on by one of my professors was not one of them

"Professor Hamilton? What are you doing here?" I strove for politeness even as I took a step back. I knew Professors and teachers had lives outside the classroom, but that didn't make it any less awkward.

"There's more to me than just a suit and tie." His smile was more distrusting than a snake.

"Of course I know that Prof. Hamilton."

Objectively, he was one of the hottest professors on campus. With his coiffed brown hair, Caspian Sea-colored eyes, and swimmer's body. He's what I imagined Poisedon would look like had he been a real person. But there's something in his smile that makes me uneasy around him. "Just Tyler. We're not in the classroom." He corrects me.

"Sorry. Force of habit." I added when he wouldn't move out of my way. "It's crazy running into you. Are you here alone?" I hoped that didn't come off flirty, considering he's my professor, but I hadn't want to come to the bar in the first place. Jenn, who has become a regular performer at the bar, persuaded me to come out and watch her set after I spent the last few days buried in schoolwork and my portfolio for the Rita Halevi program.  Sofia was working tonight and Camila wasn't feeling well, so it was only the two of us.

"Afraid so. Unless you would like to join me?" Tyler smirked. "It doesn't seem like you're here with anyone."

Is he being flirty or friendly? I can't tell. This is the same guy who came over to my seat to check if I needed help with the problems he assigned to the class. I didn't think anything of it at first, but now I think I should've paid more attention to the way he leaned in close and placed his hand on my shoulder.
"I'm actually here with a friend," I admit. "Who is probably looking for me. I should go-"

"Just one drink." Tyler pleaded. "If you're bored, I'll let you go."

The Bar was pretty packed, typical for a Saturday night. Purple and blue strobe lights flashed across the dance floor, women in cages danced provocatively, and the latest pop-song blasted throughout the room.

The bar was in a popular spot known for DC's nightlife, and Jennifer and I had spent an hour dancing and people-watching. While Jennifer went backstage and got ready to perform, I wandered towards the front so I could get a better view of the stage. Tyler corned me before I could get there, and here we are.

"I'm not old enough to drink." I know no one really waits until they're twenty-one to drink, and I wasn't an exception. I had one margarita thanks to the cute bartender but that was my limit for the night.

"I won't tell if you won't." Tyler winked at me. "Come on, it's on me. Order whatever you want." Tyler encouraged.

Feeling trapped, I turned my head and motioned for the bartender to bring me another Margarita before turning back to face Tyler.

"Cheers to a great Saturday night." Professor Hamilton, I mean— Tyler— said, raising his glass of what I assume is either Vodka or water. I pick up my unfinished strawberry margarita and clink my glass to his.

The room is spinning. There's two of everyone and I can't seem to find my balance. I look around the club, the blue light is overwhelming and the music doesn't make any sense.

I'm drunk.

But I can't be. I only had one drink and half of another one. I kept my word and had one drink with professor Hamilton then I said goodbye so I could get a better view of Jennifer on stage.

Did Tyler put something in my drink?

I look back at Professor Hamilton who leans against a wall talking to another guy, his drink sitting untouched next to him. He lifts his gaze and our eyes lock and instead of looking concerned, he looks expectant, like he knows how I'm feeling and he knows exactly why.

Oh my God. He did put something in my drink!
I loosen my grip on my cell phone and frantically hold down my thumbprint until my phone unlocks.

"Dahlia!" I hear him call my name, but I keep walking, trying to put as much distance between us as possible as fast as possible.

I tap the name of the last person I called on my phone, secretly praying that they'd pick up.

"Come on, come on." I mutter, trying to walk without bumping into anyone.

Where's Jennifer?

"Hello?"

"Kieran!"

"Dahlia? What's wrong?"

"I need help." I tell him.

"Where are you? What happened?" Kieran asked instantly.

"I'm at the nightclub Pandemonium. My professor is here. T-Tyler. I think- I think he put something in my drink." I look back to see Tyler eating up the distance between us. "I don't feel good Kieran." I panic.

"Dahlia listen to me. I need you to get somewhere safe. A bathroom. Somewhere you can lock the door." Kieran instructs. "Did you go out alone?"

"I-I was with  Jennifer but I can't find her anywhere." I told him, pushing my way through the crowd. A few people looked at me weirdly but no one stopped to ask me if I was okay.

I looked back to see Tyler striding towards me with purpose. The flirty, easy-going professor I've come to know in class was gone, and in his place was someone I didn't know.

Someone I was scared of.

"Kieran, he's coming!" I leaned against one of the walls that leads to the bathroom, trying to slow my heartbeat down.

"I'll be right there." Kieran promised
He's getting closer.

I pushed myself off the wall, ignored the line of girls waiting then walked into the bathroom, thankful that Tyler didn't follow me inside.

"Help." I beg, my voice coming out breathy and shaky. The girls looked at me like I was some kid who couldn't hold her liquor before they walked out the room.

I try each stall until finally one of them is empty and I lock it behind me before sliding down to the ground, unable to keep myself upwards anymore. Dark boots on the other side of the stall are the last thing I see before everything goes black.