~ Chapter Seventeen

Jay's pov*
As soon as we received the news about the boy, the room fell silent. It was an uncomfortable silence at that.

After a minute or two, Hailey stood from her seat. She froze in place and I could see a glossy layer build in her eyes. Her breathing becomes uneven and she begins to tremble.

"Hailey?" Natalie walks towards her with a worried look on her face.

"Hailey, look at me." She continues when Hailey's stuck in her own world and doesn't respond.

Another few seconds go by and everyone is full of worry.

Just as I'm about to stand up, Hailey regains control of her body and hurries towards the door. She swings the door open and runs after a gurney that holds a man's body.

"What just happened?" Will asks, his voice making it clear he's concerned.

"I have no idea." I shake my head in confusion.

Everyone stays where they are apart from Kim. She quickly gets up from her seat and rushes out of the same door Hailey did a few moments ago.
__________

Hailey's pov*
He was still. Lifeless. The gurney continued to move until it reached the doors of the surgical wing, leaving a trail of fresh blood behind it.

"Wait! Stop, please!" I call out from behind the storm of doctors as I get closer to them, my voice cracking more with every added word.

"Ma'am, you can't be back here." A man in surgical gear turns to face me as the trolley comes to a stop.

At this point I have completely caught up with the gurney and the medical staff that surround it.

"Josh! Josh, come on talk to me damn it!" I shout whilst placing my hands on either side of his face. "Please wake up." I sob, my voice cracking a little more.

"Ma'am, we need to get him into surgery." The same man from before tells me, as the other doctors begin to wheel him away.

Just then, I feel a pair of arms pull me back and wrap me in a hug.

"It's okay, it's gonna be okay." I hear Kim's voice say in her usual caring tone.

"He's my brother, please don't let him die," I choke on my words, "p- please don't let him die." I sob hysterically, falling to the floor in her arms.

Kim's back is up against the wall whilst I sit proped up against her side, my cries gradually getting quieter. After another few minutes, I pick my head up off of her shoulder and she stares at me sympatheticly.

"You okay?" She asks me, rubbing her hand soothingly up and down my left arm.

I give her a slight nod, my voice too strained from crying to talk. I shuffle off of her and we stand up together.

Once we're stood up, and steady on our feet, Kim brings me into one more hug. It lasts for a while until she finally pulls away and places one of her arms around my shoulders as we slowly make our way back to the small waiting room.

As soon as we turn the corner of the familiar corridor, Kim squeezes me a little tighter against her side as we walk closer to the door of the room everyone else is in.

Kim opens the door, making everyone's attention on us and I keep my head hung low.

I step ahead of her and she places a hand on my upper back as we walk over to some empty chairs. Fresh tears still slip from my eyes every few seconds as I cry silently.

When we sit down, Kim places a hand on my knee. We sit there for a few minutes in silence, the atmosphere of the room feeling tense, until I feel my phone buzz in my pocket.