~ Chapter Nine

Jay's pov*
When I woke up it was still dark outside. I looked around for a moment, taking in my surroundings, when I heard faint crying coming from Hailey's room. I instantly get up and rush into her room. When I enter the room, I see Hailey curled up into a ball and crying. I immediately rush to her side and place my hand on her knee. "Hey, hey, it's fine, you're safe. I've got you." I say. She moves her head up from her knees and looks me in the eye.
"It felt so real." She says. I pull her into a hug and wipe her tears with my thumb. At this point it was clear that she had a nightmare.

I held her for a while until she finally fell back to sleep. I went back into the living room and fell asleep on the sofa again.

**********

Hailey's pov*
I woke up to the sound of my alarm, which meant it was my first day back at work. I slowly started to get out of bed and got dressed when Paisley started to cry. I went over to her room and craddled her in my arms.

Once she stopped crying I sat down in the chair next to her crib, and began to nurse her. After a while she was finally done. I changed her into a cute onesie and made my way into the kitchen. When I look over to the island, I see Jay eating a banana.

"Hey." He says as he passes one to me.

"I'm not hungry, but thanks." I smile.

We spend a few minutes talking about work, and old cases, before I feel my phone vibrate. I pass Paisley over to Jay and answer my phone.

"Hello?" I say to the person on the other end.

"Hey Hailey, it's me Olivia."

"Oh hey Liv, what's up?"

"I'm so sorry Hailey but I can't take Pais today. My mum's in the hospital and I need to be with her."

"That's fine don't worry about it. Let me know how she is."

"I will. Thank you so much for understanding."

"Bye Liv, I hope everything goes okay." I say as I put the phone down.

I turn to look at Jay again and start to panick.

"That was Olivia. She can't take Paisley, Zoey's working today, and I can't ask my brother. What am I supposed to do? I can't exactly leave her here." I say, talking really fast.

"Hailey slow down, take a breath. It's gonna be fine. Just bring her to the district. I'm sure everyone would love to see her again." He says.

"You sure?" I ask.

"Definitely. Plus, you wouldn't have to worry about her all day."

"Okay, we'll do that." I look at Pais and smile at her still in Jay's arms. I lift her into mine and put her little coat and shoes on her. Granted they were still a little big, but the winters in Chicago are no joke.

Paisley's outfit --