~ Chapter Sixteen

Hailey's pov*
I woke up with a slight headache. The little amount of alcohol from last night taking it's toll.

I lay on my side for a while, thinking back to last nights events. The booze. The noise. The people. Most importantly, the kiss that Jay and I had shared. That's all it really was.

A kiss. Nothing more.

After a moment, my phone began to buzz. I reached over to my bedside table, where my phone was placed, and grabbed it. My phone lit up with several missed calls from Kim, and a new text from Jay.

We caught a case. Pick you up in 10.

I shot a reply straight back.

Okay, thanks Jay.

I kept it short. I'm not really sure what I would have added anyway.

I hurry to get myself dressed, throw on a thin layer of makeup, to make myself look a little more presentable, and walk down the hall to Paisley's room. I grab her a onesie, covered in small penguins, from her closet.

Once Pais is dressed and all warm, I get my coat and boots. After putting them on, my phone vibrates on the kitchen island. I look at the screen to see a new text from Jay.

Outside.

I send a quick reply his way.

Be there in a sec.

Once my message has delivered, I pick up Paisley from her bassinet, with her coat and little boots on, and we head out the door.

When we finally get outside after waiting for the elevator for a while, I see Jay's truck. He sees me straight away and gets out.

"Sorry for making you wait." I laugh nervously.

"It's fine, I've only just gotten here." He smiles.

"You didn't have to pick me up. Paisley's carseat's in my car anyway." I say.

"I kinda had to pick you guys up. You actually left her carseat in my truck when we got coffee the other day." He laughs lightly.

"Damn it, sorry." I apologise.

"It's fine, don't worry. But we really gotta go." He says.

On the way to work I text Olivia, letting her know that she can pick Paisley up at the district at 8. It's only currently 6, since we caught an early case.

Once we pull up at the district, Jay and I get out of the truck and I go round to the back to unbuckle Paisley from her carseat. When we are all ready, we head into the district.

Walking past Trudy's desk, she isn't there. As we walk up to the bullpen, Adam is putting pictures on the board, Kim and Vanessa are standing over Kevin's computer and Voight has just walked out of his office with Trudy.

"What have we got Sarge?" Jay asks as we reach the top of the stairs.

"We've had four OD's in the same neighbourhood in the past week. Someone's selling bad dope." Voight explains.

"Alyssia Foreraiz, 19. Daniel Sodo, 21. Patrick Truman, 19. Alexis Morales, 17." Ruzek reeled of the list of OD's whilst sticking their pictures on the board. "Each one died from the same bad dope." He continued.

"Adam, I want you running POD's in the neighbourhood. Kim, run background checks on all our victims and their associates. Kev, Vanessa, the four OD's are still in the morgue, I need you two to follow up on the cause of death reports. Jay, Hailey, go talk to the families. We're going to nail these pricks, let's get to work." Voight orders firmly.