~ Chapter Eight

General pov*
Hailey has been in hospital for 2 days and she is finally getting discharged today. No one has told her that the offenders are still in the wind. She's been pretty on edge for her whole stay at the hospital, being very protective of Paisley and who can come into the room. The team have grown very fond of Paisley, especially Kim of course.

It's a few hours until Hailey can finally go home and Jay can't help but notice how quiet she is. She's not her usual chirpy self.

Hailey's pov*
I'm getting discharged in a few hours but I'm worried about being left on my own. Especially with Paisley.

What if I can't protect her if something happens? I don't even know if the offenders were taken into custody. I've been really scared for the past few days and I think Jay has picked up on it.

It's still early in the morning and Paisley is asleep on Jay's lap. Jay is also asleep himself. I woke up about an hour ago and couldn't get back to sleep so I started scrolling through emails instead. Some of them were important. Some were about work and others were about Paisley's shots. I've got to book them as soon as I can.

After flicking through some emails, I saw Jay shift in his seat.

"Hey, how long have you been up?" He asks, still sleepy.

"About an hour or so. Couldn't sleep." I replied.

"Well it's not long until you can finally be discharged from this place." He smiles.

I give him a small smile back and stare off into space. I must have been distracted for a while because I heard Jay call my name and he placed his hand on my thigh.

"Hails. Hailey." He said. I turned my head to face him and he asked, "What's going on? You haven't been yourself since all of this happened. You seem pretty on edge and jumpy around people."

I continue to stare at him as a tear rolls down my cheek, "You didn't get them did you." Is all I said.

He looks at me with a hint of sympathy in his eyes. "I'm sorry Hailey. They're still in the wind." He says.

I begin to feel more tears forming in my eyes and he sets Paisley down in the crib that the hospital had provided, and he came and hugged me tight.

"It's gonna be okay. It's gonna be fine." He says whilst stroking my hair.

"It's not fine. Nothing is fine." I sob into his neck. He pulls away from the hug and sits down on the bed and places my hands into his.

"What's not fine? What aren't you telling me? Talk to me Hailey." He pleads. I take a deep breath and begin to tell him what happened with my baby.

After 20 minutes of explaining, he pulls me into another tight hug.

"I'm so sorry Hails. I'm so sorry." Is what he says.

I lean my head on his shoulder and calm down a little. I can't help but feel as if a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. Knowing that I don't have to go through this alone helps me feel safe and more at ease. I'm so grateful to Jay and how much help he is and how much he is here for me.

Jay's pov*
Three hours has passed since I woke up. In that time I went to get Hailey and I some coffee, we spoke for a while, and I took Paisley for some fresh air while Hailey spoke to the doctor. When I got back to the room Hailey was dressed and packing her bag ready to leave.

"Has the doctor discharged you?" I ask.

"Yeah, he says I'm good to go." She replies smiling.

"Let's get out of here then shall we. Let's get you and Paisley home." I say, returning her vibrant smile.