Dale

Season 2
Dallas

Goodbye, Dale.

"No one goes near this guy." Rick told everyone but gave me a pointed look.

I was currently listening to these people talk about what they are doing with Randall. I had not spoken to anyone but Dale, as he is the reason I'm standing with everyone in the first place. He came to get me, saying that the others were going to talk about Randall and I should be there.

Dale has done no wrong to me, so I listened and followed him. He is a sweet man, and the last thing I want to do is direct my anger at him when he's not the cause of it.

Lori asked Rick what he was gonna do about Randall.

"We have no choice. He's a threat." Dale stepped closer to Rick at his words, "We have to eliminate the threat."

"You're just gonna kill him?"

"It's settled, I'll do it today." Rick walked away leaving the rest of us standing there, except for Dale who practically ran after him.

"I'm gonna go hunt somethin, don't come looking for me."

I walked past the others, but Maggie stopped me, "Why don't you give your shoulder one more days rest? It should be a lot better tomorrow."

"Yeah why don't you help us around here?"

"I think I'll pass, Lori." I gave her my best fake smile, before heading out into the woods.

-

"What's goin on Dale?" I turned my head, hearing him approach my tent.

I had just gotten back not too long ago. I didn't actually hunt anything. I just wanted to leave and not feel suffocated.

"I want you to stand with me. Try to save the kid's life."

"I'm sorry Dale, but I just don't think he should live."

"Your opinions make a difference."

"No one is interested in my opinion anymore, Dale."

"Carol does, Daryl, Glenn... and I am right now. You clearly have Rick's respect too."

"Rick looks to Shane and Lori, Dale. If he listened to me the kid would be dead already." I stood up from my spot on the ground.

"I see how kind you are, Dallas. You try to push it down and be tough. You don't have to be, you can chose to help me save the kids life."

"Sorry Dale." I placed my hand on his shoulder, "We can't risk leaving the kid alive."

After that I walked away towards the house... planning to speak to Andrea and apologize for threatening her. I am still wanting to be left alone, but she didn't deserve my outburst.

-

Andrea ended up forgiving me. She was surprisingly apologetic back, saying she overstepped. Then she joked that we're even since she shot me and I stabbed the tree next to her head.

As the sun began to set, everyone gathered inside Hershels home to discuss Randall. Dale of course asked me to come along.

"So how do we do this? Just take a vote?" Glenn asked, sitting on a stool next to Dale and Andrea.

"Does it have to be unanimous?" Andrea looked to Rick.

"How about majority rules?"

"Well, let's just see where everybody stands. Then we can talk through the options." Rick said.

"Well, where I sit, there's only one way to move forward."

"Killing him, right?" Dale looked around the room, "I mean why bother to even take a vote? It's clear which way the wind's blowing."

"Well, if people believe we should spare him, I wanna know."

"Well I can tell you it's a small group. Maybe just me and Glenn."

By the way Glenn looked up at Dale, I could tell he didn't agree with him anymore, "Look, I think you're pretty much right about everything, all the time but this-"

Dale interrupted Glenn, "They've got you scared."

"He's not one of us... And we've lost too many people already."

Dale asked Maggie for her input.

"Couldn't we continue keeping him prisoner?"

"Just another mouth to feed." Daryl said, who was standing to my left behind the others.

He looks like he wants to talk to me, but he won't.

"It may be a lean winter." Hershel spoke from his spot on the couch.

"We could ration better."

"Well, he could be an asset. Give him a chance to prove himself." Dale argued. I found myself swallowing hard, feeling bad for Dale who was fighting so hard to reason with everyone.

"Put him to work?"

"Were not letting him walk around." Rick told Glenn.

"We could put an escort on him." Maggie started, "Dallas could handle that, right? She was-"

"No." Daryl and Glenn interrupted her at the same time.

I was surprised at how protective they sounded, considering my behavior recently. They should hate me now.

"I don't think any of us should be walking around with this guy." Rick put his hand up.

"He's right. I wouldn't feel safe unless he was tied up."

-

After a long couple minutes of the group continuing to argue, I couldn't take it anymore. Dale was right, or at least I think. It was one thing for me to want to put him out of his misery at the bar, but to just hang him or something now is inhumane. I don't actually know if I believed that, or seeing Dale upset just made me want to support him.

"I think Dale might be right." Andrea agreed with me.

If looks could kill, Shane would've killed us several times already.

"I can just stay with him or something, let me see if he's genuine. If he's not then we can kill him." I tried to reason, to offer Dale and now Andrea a little support. Dale very clearly tugged on her heart strings too.

"Anybody else?" Rick asked, looking around. Nobody said anything. The silence meant they would kill him.

I followed Dale out after he scolded the group some more, and told Daryl that this group is broken.

-

It was now dark out. I was sitting by myself, a good distance away from the group, but close enough to see them. Daryl was I think in the barn with Randall. Apparently they couldn't kill the kid because Carl followed them to watch without them knowing. It makes me wonder why Lori wasn't keeping her eye on him.

Loud, painful screams suddenly echoed in the air and I was the first to run towards the direction. It was Dale.

I reached him at the same time as Daryl. A walker was on top of him and Daryl threw it off, stabbing it in the brain.

I kneeled in front of Dale, and for the first time since this virus started, I began to cry.

Dale was laying there, his stomach ripped open, blood and guts pooling out of him. I rubbed my thumb over his forehead and held his hand. He was coughing and groaning from the pain.

The others had already gotten here, after Daryl screaming for them to help. But I didn't hear anything they were saying. Dale was looking me in my eyes, pleading for me to kill him without even saying anything.

Andrea was sobbing next to me, Hershel declaring there was nothing he could do. Glenn pulled me away from Dale as Rick lifted his gun, pointing it at Dale.

He couldn't do it but Dale was suffering. Daryl took the gun from Rick, aiming it at his head. I watched as Dale used all of his strength to lift his head to the gun, pleading Daryl with his eyes to shoot.

"Sorry, brother." Daryl told Dale, before pulling the trigger.

-