Gone?

Season 3
                         Dallas

            The Castle Crumbles

I don't know how long I've been laying in my cell. I don't know why this hurts me so much. And I don't understand why he'd just leave everyone.

Rick is back, so I figured I could let myself sulk for a night. I wish it was at least like the movies where I had icecream and a bubbly best friend around to cheer me up.

Carol and Beth have come in many times to check on me. So has everyone else, but Carol and Beth are the more comforting, loving types. They always know what to say. If anyone could brighten my mood, it's those two.

Glenn did come in to talk to me, but something is bothering him much more than what's bothering me. It feels wrong to burden him with my selfish thoughts when he had just gone through something awful.

After being left with my thoughts for a little while, I realized that I shouldn't worry about Daryl right now. My focus needs to return to the ones I love that are still with me. I need to toughen up and try and do my part in this group.

If my father was here he would tell
me I'm worthless and that he wished he'd had a son instead of me. He'd probably yank me out of this bed, waterboard me until i'm close to unconsciousness, and then make me do laps around the prison.

That thought alone was enough to make me shoot into a sitting position. I have to try and return to my old roots, it has saved me many times. He was a bad man but I might not be alive without him.

His tough and abusive ways lead me to be the person I am, right? Shouldn't I be just a little grateful for that?

I don't know what Rick is doing with those 4 people, I assume he'll send them away. I keep hoping he will let Michonne stay. I know I should get up and argue with him about it, but with everyone being so on edge, it's best to leave it alone for now.

I can hear them talking below me now about the governor and retaliation. How he's got a whole town and we're outnumbered.

Knowing that makes me wonder further why Daryl was okay knowing the governor is probably going to try and blow us to bits.

Maybe that's a morbid way to think, but it feels like the realistic way. I saw what they did to Glenn and I heard how those people wanted Daryl and Merle to kill each other. Those people can't be right in the head.

I know I should be down there discussing this with them, but I just wanted a few more minutes alone. Then i'll force all of this Daryl stuff behind me. Just like my father would have made me.

I need to.

After some time of them talking, I heard them all leave the block to talk to that group. I could no longer make out their conversations, all it was now was distant muttering.

I sighed and stood up from the bed. When I heard jingling at the motion I realized I still had Daryl's keys... Or my keys now.

I decided I'd like to go see how Michonne is doing while Rick is distracted and no one else is around.

Quietly, I tip toed down the stairs and found her cell, but before I could put the keys in the lock I heard Rick yelling for someone to get out.

I tucked the keys back into my pocket and went over to the cell block door. Rick was looking up at something that I don't think anyone else could see.

I've seen many men do this during my time in the military. The death of someone will drive them mad, or even the loss of themselves.

"You don't belong here. Get out! Please!" I heard a gun cock and looked back to Rick who was aiming his gun at nothing. He was waving it around carelessly not even thinking about his two kids in the room with him.