chapter twenty-seven, heartless

It must have been ten- no- twenty minutes before Kuroo came down the basement stairs, looking a bit shaken up, hands shaking at his side.

Oh my god- did he find Daichi... No no that can't be, if Daichi can be captain of a volleyball team that must mean that he's fast enough to leave before Kuroo comes back...right?

"You look tired" you uttered, looking up at him, staring into his dull eyes.

"I came back home and it just felt so quiet. So I- I went into the living and I found her, Mrs. Kozume- Kenma's mom, hung on the ceiling fan. I don't know how long she's been up there. Fuck. I tried to look for some goodbye letter- anything... all she left was her wedding ring on the coffee table" Kuroo confessed, laughing in disbelief, his whole body tensed with stress, pacing around in circles.

"Come here" you mumbled, Kuroo turned his head to look at you, slowly creeping towards you, hesitating like a stray dog encountering a person- before slowly laying next to you, his head resting on your lap.

"Fuck, Y/n. What am I gonna tell Kenma" Kuroo groaned, closing his eyes, trying his best to enjoy the feeling of his cheeks resting on the softness of your thigh instead of being drowned in stress.

"Nothing- not until he gets better" you responded.

"H-how are you feeling" you asked, your voice cracking, even at Kuroo's fragile state- touching him feels like a game of Russian roulette and so far you haven't exactly been lucky. Kuroo hesitated before answering

"Relieved. "

"Am I going to go to hell for saying that" Kuroo laughed, a hint of regret in his voice, his arms sprawled out down your legs.

"Don't worry about that. Even if there is a hell, I'll be there beside you" you responded, tilting your head down to look at him, you could have sworn that you saw his pupils dilate as you locked eyes.

"Testuro" you mumbled...

"Could you uncuff me, I'd like to hold you" you offered, praying to any god out there for safety. Kuroo softly nodded his head like an obedient child, sitting up, hand digging into his pocket to pull out his worn-out Nekoma-themed keychain. You sucked in your breath as he leaned closer to you, his chest in your face as he reached over to unlock your hands' cuffs. However, the second that your handcuffs dropped onto the floor, you could see his eyes narrow.

"Y/n...what's under your shirt" Kuroo clicked his tongue. You had to think fast, quickly bringing your knees up, extending it outwards as you kicked Kuroo down by his chest. Your hands shaking as you desperately pulled out the gun from your back. The moment Kuroo noticed the pistol in your hands, his body shook in rage, like a lion being released out of his cage.

"How the fuck do you have that" he roared, scurrying up onto his feet as he aimed to grab for the gun. Kuroo tried to pull the gun out of your hand, you attempted to push him away by turning your back towards him, pulling the weapon closer to your chest. His glare was deadly like a predator ready to rip its prey into tiny pieces, constantly trying to push your forearms down so he could disarm you.

"Y/n, just give up already" Kuroo huffed in your ear, his nails scratching your wrist as you tried to shake him off of you. Your heart was about to jump out of your chest as you saw him finally grab the gun, raising it above your head, his chest heaving. But there was no way in hell you'd give up this fast. "It's over " he shouted, voice strong and hoarse, hair messy.

So you bit him right on his lip- bit him to avenge the girl who just wanted to make friends at her new school- hurt him like he hurt you- destroy him like he destroyed you.