chapter twenty-one, barbeque

You felt the freshly watered grass tickle your bare feet, hands leaning behind your back, closing your eyes as you savored the sweet summer air. "Y/n! What are you doing, our team's barbeque is going to start any second now!" Hinata called, waving his arm, running towards you. "C'mon Shoyo, sit down with me" you proposed, tilting your head to look at him, lips curled into a smile. Hinata hesitated before sitting next to you, resting his legs on your lap, "what are you thinking about" he asked. "Nothing, I'm just admiring this day" you answered. "Why? It's just a regular day" Hinata chuckled, slumping over. "It's more than a 'regular' day, I'm here with all my favorite people" you corrected, gesturing to the Karasuno's volleyball team. "Even me?" Hinata teased, leaning closer to you, cocking an eyebrow. "Oh, especially you" you chuckled, pinching and stretching his cheek.

"Y/n, Hinata, the food is ready!" Suga announced, holding a plate of grilled meat.

"Race you to the barbeque?" You asked, cocking an eyebrow. "Alright, last one is a rotten egg," Hinata exclaimed, playfully pushing you down, sprinting to the grill. "No fair!" you scoffed, scrambling to get on your feet, chasing after him.

---

You hovered a metal tong over the barbeque, drool tempting to leave your mouth as the strong scent of barbecued meat filled your nostrils, "Y/n, hurry up and grab something before it burns" Ennoshita suggested, nudging your arm as he walked past you. "I'm working on it" you scoffed, quickly glancing at him before turning back to the grill. "This looks good" you murmured, picking up a shish kabob, oddly shaped grilled meat, and a somewhat overcooked potato.

You approached the first years, standing between Hinata and Yachi. "You should really eat more, Tsukki," Yamaguchi advised, lifting up his soft drink. "Yeah, you're basically a pile of bones, Tsukishima," Kageyama commented. "Shut up, both of you" Tsukishima scoffed, shoving meat down his throat. "Don't eat that fast, you're going to choke" Yachi exclaimed, waving her hands around. "Oh please I'm not going to cho-" Tsukishima responded, slamming his fist on his chest, trying to clear his throat, cheeks turning to red. "Oh my god, Tsukishima is going to die!" Yachi exclaimed, biting her nails, jumping up and down.

"Not on my watch" Nishinoya announced, dashing to Tsukishima, slapping Tsukishima's back with his palm, a loud clapping sound as they made contact. Tsukishima spat out a grey piece of chicken, drooling dripping down his chin, quickly wiping it away, "how embarrassing" he murmured, averting his eyes. "Kiyoko, Kiyoko, did you see that! I totally just saved Tsukishima's life right now!" Nishinoya cheered, jumping up and down repeatedly. Kiyoko turned her head, glancing at the libero, "no, not really" she answered, continuing her original conversation with the other third years. Nishinoya slumped his head, Tanaka instantly appearing to console him."Gee's Shimizu, could you have at least lied to him" Daichi chuckled. "No, why would I do that?" Kiyoko asked, placing a slice of grilled green onion into her mouth.

You chuckled, getting the attention of Sugawara, "Y/n, why didn't you touch any of your food, huh?" he scoffed. "You're going to hurt Asahi's feelings if you at least don't try at least one of his grilled potatoes," Suga teased, shifting his weight on his opposite foot. "They might be terrible but they're edible," Suga whispered. "Hey, I heard that" Asashi exclaimed, turning his head to glare at Suga. "Alright, alright, I'll take a bite of my food" you laughed, piercing the meat on your plate with your fork, guiding the piece of food into your mouth. The second you took a bite of the meat, you felt a burning feeling in your tongue as if you just bit into it.

"Y/nnn, Y/nnnnn, wake up"

Your eyes slowly opened, vision trying to adjust to the bright lighting, blurry figures towering above you. You tried to sit up but failed due to restrainments locked around both of your wrists.

"Did you have a good dream, sweetheart?" Kuroo cooed as your vision fully adjusted, anxiety slowly starting to escalate, heartbeat beginning to race. Your eyes observed every detail of the room, the air was dusty, your hands were wrapped around pink fuzzy handcuffs, chained to a bedpost, not a single window in your view of sight. "She's freaking out," Kenma commented, his hand pinching the fat of your thigh, eyes glaring at you. "Do you think I give a shit after what this bitch did to us?" Kuroo scoffed, gripping your chin, thumb pressing against your cheek, jaw tightly held in place. Your chest heaved up and down as you began to hyperventilate, squirming around on the bed, tossing your head side to side, wrist squeezing against the fur of the handcuffs, panicked words escaping your mouth. Kuroo and Kenma watched quietly as you had a panic attack, unable to control your breath, lungs feeling like they were squeezing all of their oxygen, cheeks beginning to burn, tears threatening to fall out of the corner of your eyes.

Kuroo bent over and flicked your forehead, "hey stop being a baby, won't ya? This is all your fault, Y/n" he scoffed. "No, no, you're the fucking psychopaths here" you howled, finally being able to form interpretable words, legs thrashing on the mattress. "Stop squirming before I fucking wrap my hands around your throat" Kenma advised, a scowl on his face, lifting up your chin. You shut your eyes closed, praying for a different reality as your legs closed together, obeying Kenma's command. "That's better" Kenma murmured, dropping your head.

"People will look for me, you're not going to get away with this" you commented, glaring at Kuroo's smug expression. "They won't look for you if they think you're dead right?" Kuroo responded, cradling a lock of your hair, lips curled into a smirk. "No, no my mom will look for me" you growled.

"Then we'll just deal with her as we did with Shoyo" Kenma suggested, he walked over to your nightstand, opening the cabinet to retrieve latex gloves, pulling them on his hands, grabbing a pocket knife from his pocket, walking towards you, and dangling it over your legs, "now stay still." "Get that away from me" you yelped, flinching, causing the knife to cut through your jeans and into your skin, blood smeared on your thigh. "I told you to fucking stay still" Kenma growled, slamming your head into the pillow, "fuckin' idiot."

"Lev has a dog, I'll get him to toughen it up, make it more believable" Kuroo suggested, putting on the latex gloves, gesturing for the piece of clothing. "I-I don't understand, what are you going to do," you asked, teeth grinding on each other. "We're going to make it seem like you became dog food" Kenma chuckled to himself, turning his head to quickly glance at you. "And we better do it by tonight, the sooner people think she's dead, the easier things will be for us," Kuroo said, lightly tapping Kenma's chest with the back of his palm, walking towards the staircase in the corner of the room, grabbing his jacket that was laying on the post, "Kenma?"

"Start the car, I'll need a minute" Kenma responded, motioning his hand, eyes locked onto yours. "Alright, have fun" Kuroo snickered, a dopey smirk on his face as he ran up the stairs. The silence was almost unbearable, Kenma's eyes observing your every move, watching the drips of sweat trail down your forehead, "what do you want" you spat.

"When you left, Kuroo got pissed as hell, he started throwing and destroying shit... But for me? I was just thinking" Kenma commented, tucking a strand of hair behind your ear, your breath hitching. "I thought there was no way she could miss us because why would you? But then I saw you with that blonde bitch, Atsumu and I thought there was no way she didn't know he was an asshole" Kenma sighed. "What are you trying to say here" you scoffed.

"You wanted to be treated like shit because you missed us " Kenma chuckled, a smirk forming on his lips, tilting your chin to look at him. "No, no Atsumu was different. He was nice and-"

SLAP

Kenma's palm retracting from your cheeks, "you should know better than to say another man's name in front of me, whore" Kenma growled, arising from his position on the mattress, shoving his hand in his pockets and slumping over. "Don't think we're to let you leave this unscathed...the second we've dealt with this mess, we'll fix you," Kenma uttered, before climbing up the staircase. The lights shut off, leaving you in the dark with nothing but your thoughts, a swollen cheek, and wounded thigh, tears finally following down your eyes. You refused to accept this reality, wanting to just wake up in your bed, hearing your mother call your name from the kitchen, and going to barbeques with Karasuno's volleyball team.