The Challenge

Dev found himself setting up a romantic scene in the backyard as the sun began to drop. The setting was warm and beautiful. The area was decorated with delicate fairy lights, which gave the scene a mystical feel. A small table was elegantly arranged, complete with candles and flowers. As Dev finished putting the finishing touches on his well thought-out surprise, his heart beat with excitement. He was eager to see how Anna would react to what he had in store for her. "Mujhe aasha hai ki use yah acha laga hoga. Hum dono ke liye yah shaam khaas hai(I hope she likes it. For the two of us, this evening is special.)" Anna, meantime, was inside and was clueless to the magical scene that was taking place in the backyard. Dev had been very careful to hide his secret. He smiled gently as he walked over to Anna. "Anna,kya aap please mere saath pichavaade mein aa sakate hain? Tumhaare liye mere paas kuch khaas hai(could you please come out to the backyard with me? For you, I have something special.)" Anna followed Dev into the backyard out of curiosity. Her eyes widened in surprise and excitement as she stepped outside. With the lovely scent of flowers filling the air and the gentle glow of lights, the backyard had been turned into a romantic haven. "Dev,yah sachamuch sundar hai! Har cheez ke saath kya ho raha hai(this is really beautiful! What's going on with everything?)" Dev grasps her hand. "Yah aapake liye aashchary ki baat hai. Akele hamaare liye, main ek anokha pal banaana chaahata tha(It comes as a surprise to you. For us alone, I wanted to create a unique moment.)" Then Anna's eyes settled on a handwritten letter and a delicate white gown draped over a chair. The considerate gesture made her grin, of course. "A dress? A letter as well? What's the occasion?" Dev moved toward her. "Hum avasar hain, Anna. Main aaj raat hamaare pyaar aur romaanch ka sammaan karana chaahata hoon. Kya aap abhi mujhe dene ja rahe hain(We are the occasion, Anna. I want to honor our love and adventure tonight. Are you going to give in to me right now?)" Touched by Dev's passionate gesture, Anna grinned warmly and nodded. Curiosity laughing, she picked up the dress and the letter. "Main yah shaanadaar gaun pahanane aur yah pata lagaane ke liye utsuk hoon ki patr mein kya hai. Dhanyavaad, Stupid Driver(I'm eager to wear this stunning gown and find out what's in the letter. Thank you, Stupid Driver.)" They moved in the direction of the exquisitely arranged table as Dev held out his hand. Dev wrote a sincere letter to Anna, expressing his gratitude and love for her. The gown was a romantic invitation to a night of dreaming together. With Anna's eyes glowing softly from the flickering candles, Dev's heart was filled to overflowing with emotion. Taking a deep breath, he worked up the guts to admit his feelings. 

 "Mujhe tumase kuch kahana hai, Anna

 "Mujhe tumase kuch kahana hai, Anna. Mujhe tumase poori tarah pyaar ho gaya hai. Main tumase bahut pyaar karata hoon aur tumhaare bina apane astitv ki kalpana bhi nahi kar sakata(I have to tell you something, Anna. I've fallen totally and completely in love with you. I love you so much and cannot imagine my existence without you.)" The sincerity in Dev's words surprised Anna, and she experienced a flood of mixed feelings. She cared for Dev, but memories of Edward weighed heavily on her heart. Her eyes darkened with uncertainty as she pondered Dev's revelation. "Dev,itana eemaanadaar hone ke liye dhanyavaad. Main hamaare rishte ki saraahana karata hoon aur sochata hoon ki aap ek adbhut vyakti hain. Haalaanki, mujhe apani bhaavanaon par kaaboo paane ke liye kuch samay chaahiye(thank you for being so honest. I appreciate our relationship and think you're an amazing person. However, I need some time to process my emotions.)" A gloomy look replaced by disappointment replaced Dev's, and they both became silent. "Anna,mujhe pata hai. Apane aap ko vah samay den jisaki aapako aavashyakata hai. Haalaanki, yah jaan len ki main aapaka intazaar karoonga aur meri bhaavanaen vaastavik hain(I know. Give yourself the time you need. However, know that I'll wait for you and that my feelings are real.)" Anna decided not to share the details of her complicated history since she was going through an internal struggle. She paused, thinking carefully before speaking. "Dev,mainne pahale kabhi aisa mahasoos nahi kiya tha. Mujhe yah sab samajhane ke liye samay chaahiye kyonki yah mere lyie bilkul naya hai. Kya hamaare liye dost bane rahana ab bhi sambhav hai(this is not how I've ever felt before. I need time to take it all in as it's all new to me. Is it still possible for us to be friends?)" With a forced smile covering his tears, Dev granted Anna's request. "Anna,bilkul. Main hamaari dosti ko mahatv deta hoon aur aapaki bhaavanaon ka khyaal rakhoonga. Agar aapako kabhi bhi baat karane ke liye kisi ki jaroorat hogi to main yahaan maujood rahoonga(of course. I cherish our friendship and will be considerate of your emotions. I'll be here if you ever need someone to talk to.)" The events took place in the dark garden, with the tension between Dev's confession and Anna's uncertain reaction. The family watched this moving event from a distance, unaware that they were part of it, and their faces conveyed sorrow, worry, and grief. "Oh nahi, mainne socha tha ki ve ek behatareen match honge. Kya ho raha hai(no, I thought they would be a great match. What's happening?)" Tej was also upset. "Aisa prateet hota hai ki Dev ne Anna se khulakar baat ki. Mujhe aasha hai ki vah samajhegi ki vah kitana adbhut aadami hai(It appears that Dev opened out to Anna. I hope she understands what a wonderful man he is.)" Sunaina Bhabhi is aware of this. "Pyaar hamesha seedha nahi hota. Main bas yahi aasha kar sakata hoon ki ve isaka samaadhaan nikaalane mein saphal honge(Love is not always straightforward. All I can hope is that they manage to resolve this.)" Isha wipes her tears. "Yah sachamuch dukhad hai. Dev ek adbhut ladaka hai. Mujhe vishvaas tha ki ve poorn premi honge(It's really sad. Dev is a wonderful guy. I believed that they would be perfect lovers.)" Anna has angered Masoom. "Ugh,prem naatak! Cheezen itani saral kyon nahi ho sakateen? Bechaara Dev(love drama! Why can't things be this simple? Poor Dev.)" The disappointment persisted in the air as the family gathered close to one another, whispering softly and exchanging glances. Every member had a different viewpoint, sensing the complexities that had emerged while yet wishing for a lovely love tale to develop.