Chapter 26

LEXI'S POV

We've been hiking for fucking ever. I'm beyond exhausted. "Let's take a break." I say, plopping down on a large log. "We've already come this far." Pope sounds disappointed. "Come on, Cupcake." JJ says, stopping in front of me, reaching for my to help me back up. "Fine." I roll my eyes. "Not so fast, Ms. Collins." I hear a familiar Caribbean accent shout behind me. My whole body tenses. Singh. "Where's El Dorado, Alexis?" He hisses as he tries to catch up. "Run!" I scream and we all take off into a sprint. We have to hurry, if Singh is here his men have to be close by. They'll take us for sure. Fuck.

We reach a cave at the top of the mountain. I look around and there's no sign of Singh or his men. The sky is getting dark and cloudy, storms are moving in. Thunder roars in the distance. "Ready to go full kook?" I ask, turning back to my friends with a smile. "Full kook." They all respond in unison before we enter the cave. "Let's separate. We don't have much time for Singh or one of his goons finds us." JB says. Cleo, JJ, Kie, and I go one way. Pope, JB, and Sarah go another. "This isn't making sense!" I hear Pope shout. "The true and patient seeker needs not light to see." Kiara reminds us of a clue we found on our way up the mountain. I see small fish in the water of the cave and a hand print on the wall. My mind races through all the other clues we reviewed on the boat ride here.

"Guys, I think I found something!" I exclaimed just as all the wind is completely knocked out of me. Pain shoots throughout my body momentarily before adrenaline begins to kick in. I try to get up from the ground when I see Singh and his minions holding my friends at gun point. "Hey, Lex. Nice to see you again." Ward says as he makes his way towards me. My nostrils flare. Ward and Singh exchange a look. Singh grabs ahold of Sarah, with a knife to her throat and brings her closer to Ward hovering over my body. "Don't move, sweetheart. He's going to let you go. I just need to hold up my end of the deal." Ward gives Sarah a creepy, sincere smile before turning his focus back to me. He wraps his hands around my throat and begins to squeeze as he puts all his body weight on top of my chest. "You ungrateful little bitch!" Ward snarls.

I claw like hell at his hands as I fight for air. I feel my lungs gradually emptying. He digs his nails into my throat as he applies more pressure. My vision begins to blur. This is it. I stop fighting it as my body begins to go limp. I feel at peace with what's happening. I don't want to continue to live in pain anymore. To know Rafe is still out there and he's not mine. I don't want to be an apart of a world where we aren't together. Ward topples off of me as I gasp for air. "Lexi." Rafe's fearful tone filling the air. My vision becomes clear again and I notice Rafe pointing his gun at his father. "Rafe." Ward laughs. "Don't you ever touch her again." Rafe warns. "You're going to have to pick, son. Me or that whore." Ward says my name with venom. Rafe doesn't hesitate, he pulls the trigger. He chose me. But it's too late. Isn't it? Tears threaten in my eyes as Ward grows lifeless. Sarah doesn't seem upset this time. She looks down at her dad before taking her rightful place next to John B.

In the midst of being strangled, Rafe and the pogues somehow managed to take down Singh and his men. Never thought I'd see the day they worked together. Footsteps approach as Rafe's eyes drift behind me. "What are you doing here?" Rafe asks confused and angry. "We came to take what was rightfully ours." Chase says as he appears with who I assume to be his uncle behind him. His uncle gives me a gruesome look. "Nice to see you again, Lexi." He approaches. "I don't - we've never met." I stutter. "Oh, yes, we have. I paid your mother a nice visit many years ago after your father's death. You were just a baby the last time I seen you." He chuckles deeply. Oh my God. He threatened my mom. Chase has been in on this shit the entire time. Is that why he was trying to seduce me? Is that why he offered to help me move into the Cameron's house?

"The game's over, Lexi." Chase says as he steps towards me. "Bad move." Rafe says while stepping in front of me defensively, aiming his gun at Chase. "I don't think so." Chase laughs and then whistles. In walks Topper Thornton himself. I scramble to my feet. "What's he doing here?" I snarl. "We're willing to trade. The treasure for Topper." Chase bargains. "Whoa, man. That wasn't part of the plan." Topper says with his hands up in surrender trying to back away. He's quickly surrounded by a circle of pogues holding knives at him.

The treasure for Topper. I want to find what my dad was killed over, but I don't know if I'll have the chance to kill Topper again. Against my better judgment I look to Rafe. We lock eyes for the first time since the day he sold me out. He must have been able to read my mind because at the exact same time we both begin to rush for Topper. The pogues back away turning their attentions to Chase and his uncle, who foolishly came unarmed. Rafe punches Topper in his mouth. Crimson red blood sprays from his mouth. Topper loses his footing before quickly regaining it. He tries to swing on Rafe, but Rafe dodges his fist. Rafe holds Topper still in place for me. "Lexi, I'm sorry." Topper pleads.

I pull out my knife and gently place it to his chest. "You tried to kill me, you fucking psycho." I say as I tease him, taking the knife away. He lets out an exhale and tries to squirm in Rafe's hold. Rafe and I lock eyes over Topper's shoulder once more. He gives me an assuring nod. I feel pure excitement rush through my veins, heat floods my core. I truly have become one twisted bitch. I give Topper a sinister smile before plunging the knife into his chest. Twisting it slightly once it's inside. Topper lets out the most horrendous scream I've ever heard escape someone before. It instantly fills me with satisfaction. I pull the knife out of him, licking the blood clean, and plunging it in again. Blood is oozing from his body. He begins to gurgle blood as Rafe lets his body drop to the ground.

It doesn't take long before Rafe kneels to check his pulse. "He's dead, Lex." Rafe assures me. I look at Topper's lifeless body, I feel no guilt, no shame. For once in my life, I feel true joy. I'm tried of crying, I'm tired of hurting. Life is short, you only have one chance to live it. Even though, this isn't the outcome I would've hoped for myself I have to live for. I turn away from Rafe and head back to my friends who are surrounding two more lifeless bodies on the floor.

"Lexi." Rafe says as he jogs my way. I ignore him. "Lexi, please." Rafe begs. I say nothing but turn to face him. I can feel my friends behind me. "I'm sorry." He chokes. "I'm so fucking sorry, Lexi. I never meant for any of this shit to happen. I love you, baby." He starts to cry. "I can't do this, Rafe. I have to finish what my dad started." I say before my heart can break anymore. "Let me help you." He begs. "I don't trust you." I turn away from him to my friends. They're all staring between Rafe and I with concerned eyes. "I redeemed myself. He saved you, too." JB whispers and it completely catches me off guard. I look at each one of my friends. "He tried to save you from Singh, too." JJ speaks. "Rafe just killed my father. For you. He's sorry, Lexi. He loves you." Sarah says honestly. My heart begins to soar. "Hey, whatever you choose to do, we got your back. We're not losing you again, Lex." Pope says.

I hesitantly make my way back towards Rafe. I look up into his apologetic, ocean blues. "Through there." I point at the small opening hidden underneath the hand imprinted in the cave wall. I look back to my friends. "We'll stand guard." Kiara speaks. "We're here if you need us." Cleo assures. Rafe extends his hand to me and I take it. I melt once our fingers interlock. Feeling his touch again has me wanting to break down my walls with him, but he hurt me really bad. I can't give in. Not yet. I don't know if I can trust him. "After you." Rafe says and he lights up a flare. "Lexi?" An unfamiliar male's voice cries behind us. My head snaps in the direction of my name being called again. "Dad?" My voice cracks as I look at the man.