Chapter 14

It's been two months since Rafe and Ward left for Nassau. I've fallen into a bit of a depression. So much has happened. Sarah and John B died the night of the storm, trying to outrun the cops. I still haven't spoken to Rafe, I miss him so much. I don't even know if him and Ward are okay after the storm hit the Bahamas, I literally know nothing. I broke up with Topper. That was a mess. I've talked to the pogues a few times here and there, but not in the last few weeks. The last time I spoke with JJ he filled me in on a lot. Ward and Rafe flew gold from the Royal Merchant to the Bahamas. That's the business they had to handle, I guess. According to JJ, Ward swooped in and stole it from the pogues with Rafe's assistance. I had no idea they were even looking for it. Sheriff Peterkin was trying to arrest Ward at the airstrip for the murder of John B's dad, Big John, when Rafe killed her to defend Ward. Allegedly. I mean, it's not that I don't believe JJ, but I wasn't there; and the pogues aren't always innocent either. Constantly getting themselves in sticky situations they have to struggle to get out of.

So, apparently Rafe and Topper jumped Pope one day while he was making a delivery for Heyward. This resulted in JJ and Pope retaliating and Pope ended up sinking Topper's new boat. Hence, the tension at the movie. JJ took the fall for Pope when the cops came after him. JJ's dad beat the shit out of him for the restitution fees he had to pay. Oh, and apparently there was a kegger I knew nothing about and JJ ended up holding a gun to Topper's head while Topper was trying to drown John B. I've been struggling for weeks to wrap my head around everything. I don't know what to believe anymore. I've spent the better part of the last two months literally moping around. I've been blaming it on bad period pains and not feeling well. I don't think anyone believed me. So, my new excuse is I'm so heartbroken over my split with Topper. That seemed to be more believable, to my mother at least.

I can't keep living like this anymore. It feels like my world has stopped, but somehow, life has continued on. I am tired of being left in the dark by both sides. If I truly have to choose a side, dammit, I will. But I want to be included in shit. I take a shower and get dressed. There's a bonfire tonight. To my surprise, Kie invited me to go with them. I wear something like this:

I do my hair up in a quick ponytail, nothing fancy

I do my hair up in a quick ponytail, nothing fancy. Getting dressed and doing my hair and makeup, surprisingly helps make me feel a bit better. Even though there's a void in my heart. I throw on some converse and start up my Mercedes. I have an important stop to make before the bonfire, it's the only way I'm going to get through this.

I pull up to the raggedy trailer and beep my horn. How I managed to get off Figure Eight unnoticed by any kooks is beyond me. A ton of sleeping junkies all wake up on the porch and stare at my car. Barry makes his way down the front porch and approaches my window. "Shiiiiiiit. What's good, Lexi?" Barry asks. "I need cocaine." I stare at him blankly. "How much you need?" He asks while holding up his duffel bag. "Enough to get me through tonight at least." I say rummaging through my wallet for cash. "Thirty bucks, Princess." Barry says waiting with his hand out for the money. I slap the cash in his hand and he gives me a small baggy. "Thank you." I say politely. Barry's phone starts ringing. As he brings it up from his pocket, I read the name on the screen. Country Club. It's Rafe. I feel like I'm going to throw up. Rafe is calling Barry, but hasn't called me once. What the fuck. I roll my window up and speed off to the bonfire with tears in my eyes.