Chapter 19

It's pitch black in the middle of the ocean. Rafe and I are in charge of keeping an eye on Sarah while she sleeps. While my mom is trying to comfort Wheezie and "explain" everything to her. "Where am I?" Sarah mumbles as he begins to wake up. "On a cargo ship, heading to Nassau." Rafe speaks with frustration. He turns to me, leaning in close. "I have a bad feeling." He whispers in my ear. "About what?" I whisper back. "The fucking pogues. Don't underestimate them, Lex. They've been surprisingly the hell out of me." Rafe whispers and shakes his head. "I'll be right back." He says leaving the room.

"I feel sick. I have to get to the bathroom." Sarah complains. "Next door on the left." I tell her and watch her walk out of the room. I am so exhausted. I use this time to lean back in my chair and scroll Instagram. "Where's Sarah?" Rafe asks when he returns. "Bathroom." I respond. "I was just in the bathroom. Sarah isn't in there." He looks at me. "Oh, fuck." I mutter as we both sprint into action. We decide to split up and search the boat. I hear someone over a walkie talkie being told to check everywhere thoroughly for stowaways.

I've searched the entire middle deck of the ship and have found nothing. Where the hell is she? I make my way onto the upper deck to continue the search. There's a very large, golden cross with diamonds all over it laying on the floor in the middle of the ship partially covered by a white sheet. I make a mental note to come check it out later, because I'm curious. It's beautiful. "Rafe! Please!" I hear Sarah shouting and run in that direction. There's a large tub of water  underneath the stairs leading to the Wheelhouse above, I have no idea what it's for. Rafe has Sarah leaning over it backwards and he's trying to drown her. She's clawing at him for dear life. Literally. I lean against the doorframe and cross my arms. I'm honestly enjoying the show. What the fuck is actually wrong with me? Since when am I into this type of shit?

Rafe must sense my presence because he turns his head and flashes me a devilish smile. I'm starting to think he very well may be the devil himself. I smile back as his eyes gleam with pride. I'm assuming because I'm just as twisted apparently and I'm not trying to help her. I hear someone running up behind me so I turn around. "Lexi?" John B stops dead in his tracks. Oh, it's fucking on. I walk up to him and punch him in his throat. Next thing I know, here comes tough guy, JJ. He shoulder checks me as he runs past me, charging right for Rafe. He tackles Rafe, causing Sarah to fall back into the tub of water. She emerges quickly, coughing up water. Rafe and JJ begin to fight, Rafe quickly getting the upper hand. "So it's like that now, huh?" John B steps towards me, throwing his hands up in the air.

"Yeah, I guess it is, bitch." I step to him. He looks at me puzzled. "My dad, JB. How long have you known?" I shove his chest. All color drains from his face. "Yeah, you didn't think I knew? Well, I know now. You fucking lying piece of shit." I charge for him. He stops me, holding both of my arms in the air above my head. "I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want you to look at me any differently." His voice cracks. "How long have you known?" I shout. "Lexi." He whispers. "HOW LONG?" I cry out, my voice cracking from betrayal. "I found out the night we hooked up for the first time." He answers with shame. "Before or after you fucked me?" I stare him in his eyes. My blood is on fire, I can physically feel myself growing warmer. This might be it. I think I'm going to kill him. "Before." He says emphatically. As I reach for the gun holstered to my hip, there's a loud boom coming from the back of the ship, followed by a shit ton of yelling.

"I'm not done with you, yet." I say before kicking John B as hard as I can in the dick. He topples over in pain. Good. That's just the beginning. JJ wiggles his way free from Rafe and rushes towards the back of the ship. Rafe and I follow close behind. Upon approach we notice a giant crane lifting up the golden cross I seen before. "Pope!" I yell. One of the ships crew members is helping him line the crane up with a boat on the side of the ship. No surprise that Kiara is in the boat waiting. Rafe looks at me and I give him a small nod. He rushes towards Pope and the crane. I'm about to charge towards the girl that works on the ship when I'm shoved to the ground, smacking my face off the deck. My hand instantly flies to my lip which is busted and bleeding. I push myself up, spinning to see who knocked me down. Sarah.

I snarl at her as I get a taste of copper on my tongue. We charge at each other. At the last second before we collide I stick my foot out, tripping her face first. Jumping on top of her back, I grab a fistful of her hair and slam her face down into the wooden deck floor. She lets out a merciful cry as blood flies from her nose. Neither Pope nor Rafe are anywhere in sight, but I see JJ, that girl crew mate, and JB trying to unhook the cross onto the lifeboat below. I pull the gun Rafe had given me out of the holster. Pointing it directly at John B, I cock it back. They all freeze in sheer horror.

"Don't fucking move." I order. "Lexi." JJ croaks. "Oh, now you want to talk to me, Jay?" I laugh. "If I can't have the cross, nobody can." Pope shouts as he climbs back into the crane releasing the cross into the ocean. "NO!" Rafe screams as he rushes to hold onto the cross. His muscles twitch with every passing second of him trying to pull the cross up alone. "Help!" He shouts as some crew members come rushing to help him.

"You're all free to go. Except for you." I continue to stare down John B. "Lexi." JJ pleads. "Go guys." John B orders his friends. He gives them each a reassuring nod. Pope, now Sarah, and that other girl jump ship making their ways to the lifeboat below. "Go JJ." I order. "No." His disobedient tone really pisses me off causing me to turn the gun towards him. "Go ahead, Lexi. Shoot me. But let John B go." He argues. "Dammit JJ." JB whispers. "You have until I count to three, JayJ. I fucking mean it. You guys betrayed me in the worst possible way. I'm letting you off easy." I warn him. He doesn't make a move. "One." I begin counting as the two guys look at each other. "Two." I continue, exhaling deeply.

Before I even have a chance to get to three Rafe comes out of nowhere with a pipe of some sort and bashes JJ right over the head with it. He falls overboard and blood flies everywhere. John B finally decides to grow a pair and charges at Rafe. "JAYJ! STAY WITH ME!" I hear Kiara crying from below. I aim my gun at JB but I'm scared to pull the trigger right now because I don't want to shoot Rafe on accident. They squabble over the pipe in Rafe's hands. I begin to lose my patience. I just want him to fucking pay. I don't care if I get to slowly watch his life leave his body. I just want him dead. Is this really a risk I'm willing to take? My finger slowly inches towards the trigger.

BANG. The sound is deafening. My ears begin to ring. A gut wrenching scream leaves my mouth as my hand instinctively moves to my abdomen on its own accord. I pull it away to take a look. My hand is completely red. There's warm, sticky blood oozing out of my abdomen, down my leg. My vision begins to go blurry. I see John B jumping ship. There's a look of terror on Rafe's face. I'm instantly feeling dizzy, I try to fight it. My legs give out from under me just as Rafe's arms wrap around me. "Lexi. Baby. Stay with me." Rafe begs. Those are the last words I hear before everything goes black.