24"

Lily Evans was completely confused to watch her best friend talk happily to Slytherin Captain, Steve Laughalot

Lily Evans was completely confused to watch her best friend talk happily to Slytherin Captain, Steve Laughalot. Steve had treat both Camilla and Lily horribly and Lily would have felt slightly betrayed that camilla had been getting on so well with him if Camilla hadn't of warned her before the lesson commenced. She had no idea what Camilla was thinking. Then again, she never did.

"Cam, what's going on with you and laughalot?" Lily asked as they walked into the classroom their next lesson, defence against the dark arts

"Literally nothing" Camilla reassured, taking her seat beside Lily

"It's not nothing Camilla!" Lily exclaimed, "You agreed to go to Hogsmede with him"

"you did what?!"

James had been walking past the two girls to find his seat when he heard their conversation.

Camilla sighed, already bracing herself for the headache which was James Potter.

"you've decided to go out with Steve laughalot?" James said exasperatdly, "Steve laughalot? he repeated.

"yes Potter, I have" Camilla nodded

"you won't" James said simply, "I forbid it?"

"You forbid me?" Camilla mocked, leaning back on her chair, crossing her arms over her chest and pulling a disapproving face

"yes, I forbid it" James continued, "You can't go out with the Slytherin team captain"

Camilla laughed. People should really start to notice that she wasn't saying say yes because she liked him. He was up to something and she would find out. In fact, she was quite offended that people would think that she was so desperate for a date that she'd go out with Steve. Camilla liked to believe that James and Lily were some of the people who knew her best.

"Trust me Potter, I won't spill any of our quidditch secrets" she reassured

That didn't seem to make James feel any better about the situation whatsoever. Deep down James knew that Camilla would never do anything to jeopardise the team and their chance at the cup. But still, it didn't mean that he liked Camilla going on a date with him any more. Camilla was so out of his league. She was everything Steve laughalot was not. Camilla was kind and genuine and welcoming and warm and just so... perfect. Camilla was good at everything and friends with everyone. James couldn't think of a better word, other than perfect.

"Whatever" James said, shaking his head, walking off to take a seat

"I hope you know what you are doing Cam" Lily said as James was out of earshot

That evening in the common room James had been in a particularly bad mood and everyone else, except for Camilla, and James himself, could tell why.

The marauders had all headed back up to their dorm and Remus, Sirius and Peter had endured too much of James moodiness to keep quiet.

'What is it prongs?" Sirius asked, laying down on his bed

"Nothing" James replied simply

"Come off it mate, you've had the face on all night" Peter agreed making Remus and Sirius nodded, "what's wrong"

"Its Prewett and laughalot" James said, "I don't trust it all"

Sirius rolled his eyes, "cam wouldn't do anything to put the team at a disadvantage"

"I know that" James snapped as if it was obvious

"then what's the problem?" Remus continued to ask

"I don't know" James shrugged, "I just don't like it"

Remus had quite literally had enough.

"James, have you ever considered that perhaps you might have feelings for Cam?"

James' eyes widened in surprise. The thought had never occurred to him. Sure Cam was kind, pretty, extremely attractive, intelligent, passionate. Basically everything he wished for in a woman. Camilla made James feel good and he liked spending time with her. He wanted to now her more. He wanted to spend every minute getting to know her more.

But all that didn't mean that he liked her

"Fancy Prewett?" James asked in shock, "No, that's absurd. It's definitely to do with Quidditch. Besides, Evans is the one with my attention"

"But Lily isn't the one with your attention mate. Since the start of the year all you can talk about is Camilla" Remus continued

"So?" James shrugged, "We're working closer together being co-captains, of course Im going to talk about her more"

"Prongs, are you sure that-" Sirius started

"Im sure" James interrupted, "I don't fancy Prewett, we're friends...nothing more"

That night, as James laid in bed, staring to the ceiling, he thought of what his friends had asked him. He definitely did not like Camilla. Granted, he didn't have a proper reason to be unhappy with her dating Steve, but the answer was not because he liked her.

Sure, Camilla was amazing. James could only imagine what a life with Camilla would be like.

But he was certain.

He did not fancy Camilla Prewett.