34 ~ So back

Under a streetlight, on a public seat beside the bus stop, surrounded by several parked vehicles, Hwang Hyunjin started treating his wounds. He winced at the touch of the moisted gauze against his bleeding forearm. His sleeves were rolled up and his blazer rested on his thighs.

"That's not how you do it." A voice softly spoke above him. When he gazed up he was met by the tender eyes of Hwang Yeji, bearing the same warmth that she once gave him. He was momentarily taken back to December.

"Then show me." He put forward his arm to hand her the gauze.

"You bet." Yeji giggled softly. "Let me show you what a nurse's daughter is capable of."

"I am quite aware of that." Hyunjin said. "I used to be close with one. She would treat me every time I got wounds like this." He spoke fondly of the memory as he watched the smile on Yeji's face vanish.

There was a moment of silence shared between the two as she dressed the wounds on his arms.

"Look at your face. Oh my God." Yeji's eyebrows creased with concern and slight reprimand. "When are you ever going to stop messing with goons?"

Hyunjin was quiet not because he couldn't answer her question but because he was containing a groan. It stung, every little press of the gauze. His face seemed to be even more sensitive.

Yeji couldn't help but smile as his eyes shut tightly and teeth gritted like a little kid being punished. Her stare lingered on his features, taking note of his perfect jawline, his long nose and plump lips that was now crimson with blood. She quickly brushed off a thought that admired how handsome he looked even in a beaten up state.

"It's done." She blurted when he opened one of his eye to peek. "Scaredy cat." She added teasingly.

"Did you come back for me?" Hyunjin asked as faced away from Yeji, touching the plaster above his eyebrow.

She did. In fact, she went all the way to the party venue just to confirm why Ryujin had left her so many missed calls before running back to check on him.

She nodded. They were both facing infront now, leaning against the bench. Hyunjin swung his arm above the bench before letting it rest there. It was then that he noticed her bare arms. She was wearing a sleeveless dress and her hair danced to the tunes of the wind. Unknowingly, he started checking her out. From her arms to her legs... he had to turn away to hide a blush when she suddenly looked at him.

"What?" She asked.

"Aren't you cold?" He immediately wrapped his blazer over her shoulder.

"Thanks." She muttered softly.

"By the way," Yeji began sheepishly. "Your wallpaper..."

Hyunjin was confused for a second as he watched her reach for her purse and take out his phone.

"Oh." He simply made an O shaped expression. "You saw that..."

"I think you should change it." She suggested with heave. It wasn't what she wanted to say. "If someone sees it they might think we are... you know..."

"Sure if that's what you want." He simply agreed to her request. Unlike the other times where he would try to reason with her and talk to her out of this friendzone, he was rather chill now as if he had reached a conclusion.

"And the huge teddy bear, it was from you right?" The huge valentine's gift that caused a commotion in the corridors of the school turned out to be from him.

"I was hoping it wasn't from you." She said coldly.

"I was hoping it was you who signed me up." He chuckled bitterly recalling how his name was registered for the competition by Jeon Somi and not Yeji. "I didn't get to apologise that day. Now that we are just friends I shouldn't have gotten that close, or touched you like that." He wasn't sorry, truth be told. He was glad he had an opportunity to hold her close even if it was just through some competition.