CHAPTER 21

"Sir! , the b-squads aren't answering any of my signals. And the timer is dropping too fast. We need to evacuate the building as soon as possible!", The officer said to the sheriff.
"Damnit!, I'm sorry young man but we have to leave. Else we're all going to die together", the sheriff said.
"I'm sorry Sheriff but I'm not leaving without my mom", Chris replied.
"What are you saying Chris. I know this is hard for you but it's also hard for me. But we have no choice. We can't leave you here. You'll die", Jane said
"I know Jane. If mum is going to die then I'm going with her. And no one should try and stop me", Chris replied.
The timer reached its final ten seconds and counting
Nine .......eight......
"We have to leave now!" ,the sheriff said as he kicked the door opened.
"If you're not leaving then I'm staying here with you", Jane said
"No Jane. You have to go. You can't share this fate with me. Look at my mum. Lying there helplessly. If she dies my whole life has come to an end. Thank you for everything you've done. I really appreciate it. But I'm sorry", Chris said as he hugged her.
Just then he pushed her out of the room the moment the timer hit four....
"No!!!", Jane screamed
The officers held her back so she won't go back in. They managed to drag her into the van.
Just then there was a loud bang. The bomb had exploded. Jane cried out loud as the flames roared.

"I'm so sorry for your loss Princess", the sheriff said as Jane cried with all her might.

"Did you hear that?", RK asked as he drove on.
"Of course I did. The work I did finally yielded. All my problems are gone with that explosion. Now no one can get in my way", Scarlet said as she smiled
"But what if the princess was still there before the explosion, won't she die too?" RK asked.
"Oh no Jane!, it can't be. I'm sure the detectives will protect her. Only that bastard and his mother will die. Jane can't die", Scarlet yelled.

Jane stood there helplessly as the building collapsed. The firemen hurried inside to quench the fire.
"With a blast like that, there's no way the hostage would survive", one of the firemen said.

Moments later, the ambulance arrived. They were able to retrieve a body from the ashes.
The body was totally burnt that Jane could not make out who it was.
"Any recognition Princess?", the sheriff asked.
Jane shook her head as tears flowed from her eyes. "But sir, there were two inside. Where's the other one?",
"I'm sorry princess but we only found one body", the officer said
"What do you mean one body?. They were two. What happened to the other one?", Jane asked
"We have two theories. The first one is that maybe the other body is hidden under the fallen debris or it's somewhere beyond our reach", the officer said
"You said you have two theories, what's the second one?", Jane asked

"By estimating the impact of the explosion, it's possible that the second body underwent disintegration. There's nothing left of it", the officer said

"No.. No.. it can't be", Jane said as she sobbed

FEW WEEKS LATER.

"Whoever said that loss gets easier with time was a liar. Here's what really happens: The spaces between the times you miss them grow longer. Then, when you do remember to miss them again, it's still with a stabbing pain to the heart. And you have guilt. Guilt because it's been too long since you missed them last.
But if you have to go, then go. Go if it hurts. Go if it's time. Just go knowing you were loved, that I will never forget you, that you will live in everything Connor and I do. Go knowing I love you purely, Chris, that you were an amazing friend. Go knowing I told you all my secrets. Because you were my everything"...........
....
..........THE END