Chapter 4

I know that this decision was painful for me to make but I did. I don't know how it will end up but I'm willing to try. 

  Vic looks at me as he sits in his seat next to me. "Have you decided?" He asks me. 

  "I have." I answer as I pull my stuff out of my backpack. 

    "What would that be?" He asks me. 

  "I've decided that we can be friends. That's all though. It can't be anything more. I don't trust you enough for that." I explain. 

  "You have every right to feel that way. Want to do something after our band rehearsals?" He asks me. 

  I bite my lip as I nod. "Sure. I still have your number unless you changed it." 

  He shakes his head. "I haven't." 

  "I'll text you where to meet then." I say. 

  "Quinn. Fuentes. Shut up." The teacher as she starts class. 

  After school I head to my band practice. I'm on time today. 

  "Oh good. Someone is on time for once." Nick teases me. 

  Justin smiles. "Let's get set up so we can start." He says. 

  I start helping them set up. "So Vic and I are doing something after our band rehearsals." I state.

  Nick smiles. "That's a good thing." 

  Justin nods.  "That's a good place to start." 

  "Yeah it is. I'm nervous about it but we have a set to rehearse." I say. 

  We start our rehearsal. I feel like we get better with each rehearsal. I hope that this will work out the way we want. I'm really glad to have them as my band mates. 

  "Hey before I leave is there anything you want to tell me?" I ask them. 

  "Nope. I need to get going." Nick says bye before leaving. 

  Justin looks at me. "I don't have anything to tell you either. Go meet up with Vic." He says before leaving. 

   I decide where I want to meet Vic at before heading there and texting him where I am. 

  "Good choice." Vic says as he sits across from me. 

  "I thought so." I say, not making eye contact with him. 

  "How was band rehearsal?" He asks me. 

  "It was good. How was yours?" I ask. 

   "It was good. I'm nervous about the competition. We're up against some really good bands." He states. 

  "We are including each other's." I say to him. 

He leans forward. "Yes. I'm not gonna let that come between us. We've gotten kind of back on track." He says. 

  I look at him. "Yeah we kind of are getting back on track." 

  He smiles at me. "Yeah. Besides us fighting and the band, what else have you been up to?" He asks me. 

  I can see that he cares. "School and checking on my mom. So nothing new really." I state. 

  "How is your mom?" He asks. 

  "She's doing alright." I answer. "Its been rougher on her than me." 

   "I always hated your dad." He says. 

  We order our food before continuing the conversation. "I hated my dad too. You're one of the few people that really know the truth." I say. 

  He sighs. "Yeah I do. I'm keeping that secret." 

  I fidget with my hands. "Can we please change the subject?" I ask, drinking my soda. 

  "Sure we can." He says. "How are Nick and Justin?" 

  "Good. I think they're hiding something from me but I'm not sure what." I answer. Our food arrives at the table. 

  He start eating his food. "If its important, they'll tell you." 

   "Yeah you're probably right." I start eating my food. 

   "If you ever need to spend the night, you're free." He says as he eats. 

  "Thanks. I don't think we're there yet." I say as I eat. 

  "Of course. Yeah I get it. We're taking things super slow right now." He states to me. 

   We finish our food before leaving the restaurant. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow at school." I state. 

  He nods. "Yeah you will. Thanks for agreeing to be friends again." 

   "I figured it was time to mend our fences. Its been a year so its time for me to learn to forgive." I explain to him. 

  "I'm glad that we are. I'll see you tomorrow." He says. 

  I head home to my mom. My older sister moved out the moment she turned eighteen so its my mom and I I try not to worry too much but I can't help it. 

  "Mom I'm home!" I call to no response. I go to her room to see that she's asleep. 

   I go to my room and start my routine for getting ready for bed. I lay down and can't help but to text Vic. We text back and forth before I end up falling asleep.