44- That boy loves you

Stevie didn't know it but she was living in blissful ignorance having never actually seen anybody killed till now. She heard of her father's murder and the murder of Peterkin but being there the gun went off or the final blow was delivered, brought the idea of murder to reality. The gunshot sent shivers echoing through her body and her mind flipped back to Peterkin. How harrowing and traumatising it must have been for Sarah and John B, the women who had tried to protect them dying in front of their eyes, it was traumatic enough watching Gavin, who they didn't know, die. But no one would see it, Shoupe was too late and didn't believe them and Pope's stupid camera was damaged in a miscommunication after Kie's outburst.

Their arguments with Shoupe were futile. Didn't matter that they were telling the truth, this island would never believe them.

"Why can't you believe us for once?" JJ's frustration came through in his voice as the four followed the police officer out of the construction site.

"Waste of my goddamn time." Shoupe scoffed to himself.

"I know it sounds crazy. I know that." Kie was pleading with the sheriff but it was no use, he told everyone it was a false alarm.

"Can you just do your job for like 20 minutes?" Stevie begged as Shoupe was about to leave in his car. She frankly hated him. She really hoped that the part of Shoupe that knew the teen,  had watched them grow up, would come out and realise or at least humour them. A small part of Stevie saw that on the night when John B and Sarah went missing, he knew he wasn't guilty, but when he walked away from them, without an ounce of trust in their claims, Stevie hated him.

"Hey..." He turned around specifically looking at Stevie. From his point of view, he saw a desperate and destitute 16-year-old, who lost every part of her family, scraping to blame her tragedy on something. "I know you're upset. And I know you think your brother was innocent"

"He is!" Stevie yelled, striking fear in Shoupe's eyes, "That night I saw in your eyes. There was a moment when you knew he didn't do it. Remember that."

"Look no one here, was there." Shoupe had to ignore the bubbling feelings in his stomach as he shut down the desperate girl with tears forming in her eyes, "The only actual witnesses who are above ground say the exact opposite. And I'm sorry Stevie but this isn't going to bring you brother back."

"That's fine," she knew more than he did, "I just wished you remembered who he was,"

...

After remembering that the gun slipped into the gutter, Pope had the bright idea of searching the storm drain. Although it was definitely where the gun would be, it was a disgusting task.

"This is the noth drain. It should've gotten washed into the gully." JJ brought the other three to the end of a drain pipe, "So if it got flushed out from the drain it would've been pushed out to, like–"

"This pile of trash," Stevie filled in, unenthusiastic about the insinuation.

"People who use plastic should be shot," Kie said quite dramatically although Stevie understood her message.

"Personally, I love plastic." JJ smiled, making Stevie smile in return "Use it every day. Love the stuff."

"It is quite hard to avoid" Stevie smiled at JJ.

"Hopefully you two recycle it and don't let it flush into the ocean" Kie replied spitefully.

"I thought you'd say something like that, so..." Poep held up bags, "Trash bags"

"Did you just proactively protect the environment?" Kie smiled shyly, the small gesture made her heart flutter.

"But those bags are plastic," Stevie scrunched her brows as she whispered to the boy next to her.