36- mamma's mad

"Good news for the residents of the Outer Banks," The radio broadcast woke Stevie up from her not-so-restful sleep. Although the offer was so tempting, Stevie slept on the other side of the car from JJ, not wanting everyone to see them snuggled together in the morning. Specifically not wanting John B to see when he had a lot of other things to deal with like avoiding the cops. The broadcast continued to talk about power to the island but the group were more focused on the sirens that whizzed past on the main road where the car was parked.

JJ quickly whipped his head up, holding on to his cap, checking the lights to see if they were coming their way or driving past like the other ones that interrupted their sleep throughout the night. Just before returning back to his slouching posture in the back seat, JJ turned to check on Stevie who was on the other side of John B. She looked tired and her hair stuck up in many different directions. The cuteness made JJ smile to himself before turning back to face the front of the car, "And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin," the radio continued, "The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from--" Kie abruptly shut the radio off as she fully woke up. A collective pit formed in everyone's stomach knowing that the radio had gone on to accuse John B, like the rest of this island.

"Let's game this out." JJ started thinking, "Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all," he gestured with his head to Pope, Kie and Stevie, "But who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us?" The question was futile, they all knew this was an uphill battle, practically vertical. How were they gonna convince anyone of authority that one of the most respected people on this island and his son killed the sheriff when the accusers were a homeless 16-year-old boy and his friends of thieves and liars?

"Shit." Pope sighed.

"Yucatan, all right?" JJ said again. His plan was always Yucatan even over the smallest incidents like when he failed a test and was afraid of the consequences, "I'm saying that the only option. "

Whilst JJ continued with his Mexico idea Stevie got thinking. They knew that Ward wasn't gonna turn in Rafe and Rafe was going to go along with all of his father's lies so that was a no-go. What Stevie had her mind stuck on was the possibility of someone else. There must have been other people there. "What about Sarah?" she came to a hopeful conclusion.

John B gestured at his sister with a pressed smile on his face, agreeing with her idea and shut JJ up, "Enough of the Mexico bullshit. Sarah will bail me out."

"She was there for the whole thing," Stevie backed her idea up.

"And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" Pope sounded more sceptical than Stevie. In her head it was obvious. Sarah knew what was right and Stevie trusted her morals. Plus she had been adrift from Rafe for a while now.

"Not happening, bro." JJ agreed with Pope, making Stevie roll her eyes and hold her hands up in defeat. JJ sat up a little with his joint in his hand noticing Stevie's objection, "We gotta get you off the island."

"The ferry," The boys were connecting an idea. It wasn't necessarily the worst idea but it wasn't Steve's favourite. John B on the run alone didn't sit well with her. "It's the only way."

"Exit stage left while you still can. Before the entire island is on lockdown" JJ said as sirens emerged in the distance again.

"Guys get down," Kie said, shifting back in her seat.

"Sarah's not a pogue John B," Pope said, making Stevie slightly mad.

"She might not be a pogue but she knows the truth. She saw it happen. You guys really think Sarah's just gonna sit on the information that her brother killed Peterkin and go home and play 'happy kook family' whilst her boyfriend gets blamed?" Stevie said, mainly holding eye contact with the blond boy next to her brother, "I don't want John B to go on the run." She admitted, the thought was so scary to her," I don't want him to be alone and I don't want to lose him. If he runs he's gonna look guilty so can we just try?"