Ghost X Reader: You unalive his mistress

AN: inspired by gone girl which i watched today and which altered my brain chemistry permanently. 

___

Your hands cupped around your steaming cup of tea. The blanket you'd wrapped yourself in warmed the chill in your bones.

The warm cup hid your trembling fingers.

A house in the suburbs, complete with a large garden visible through the large floor-to-ceiling windows in the living room.

Life was good. Simple.

Your husband had finally left the frontlines and settled for a domestic life years ago. The sound of a key finding the lock of your front door filled your ears.

You tilted your head backwards and saw the shim of your husband returning from a meeting through the small window slotted in the front door.

You stood from the couch. Slipping on your comfortable slippers before the cold from the wooden floor could find its way back into your limbs.

Moving towards the hallway, you took a moment and stopped before the mirror.

Dragging a hand through your hair, a finger across your lips. Making sure you looked the perfect wife you vowed to be.

The door creaked open.

Simon stepped in. His suit perfectly pressed, as you'd presented it to him this morning. He loosened his tie with an easy grin, dropping his suitcase to the floor as he pulled you into a hug.

''Hello, love.''

Your cheek pressed against the expensive material of his jacket. The color of the tie you bought him flashing in your vision. As if teasing you.

You smiled as you pulled your head back slightly, allowing him to place a kiss on your lips.

''Hi, handsome. How'd your meeting go?''

His fingers curled around a loose strand of your hair, gently placing it behind your ear. His hold on you lessens as he shrugs off his jacket, hanging it on the brass tree by the door.

''Good, good. Price keeps askin' me about ya. Wondering when we'll come visit him and his missus again.''

You chuckled as you led the way back to the living room. Simon sat down on the couch, stretching as he settled onto the soft material.

You leaned over the backside of the couch, meeting his lips in another kiss.

''Tell him to call me. We'll take a look at the schedule soon.''

You turned and walked over to the kitchen, where the dinner you'd prepared was nearly finished. As you glanced backwards, Simon sat engrossed in the small screen of his phone.

A stab went through your heart.

In another lifetime, Simon's eyes would have lingered on you as you turned, burning on the back of your head as you looked away.

These days had fleeted away all too soon, disappearing like smoke between your fingers.

You pulled open the oven and busied yourself with preparing the dinner.

From the beginning, you and Simon had formed the habit of eating on the couch, never bothering to set the table.

As you approached him with his plate, he put his phone away quickly, barring the sight of his screen from your vision.

You smiled.

''Here you go, sweetheart.''

He took the plate from your hand and settled back into the cushions. You let your attention drift to his side profile, just for a second, as he grabbed the remote and turned on the tv.