CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

Here it is, the continuation as promised.💕

FORTY-TWO

EVAN

"Didn't you ever wonder why?" I asked. He nodded, leaving me in shock. Wasn't he the one so confident just a moment ago?

"I still do." Sebastian admitted with a shake of his head. "But all things work together for my good, because I love God. I know that."

I sighed, nodding and deciding not to take the religion matter any further. I didn't understand how he could be so at peace with everything that had happened. I'd had my fair share of experiences, but nothing as bad as his, yet I perceived religion as a means for the whites to keep Africans psychologically enslaved. Then again, I knew Jesus wasn't even white. I hated the conflict going on within me, while the boy beside me sat breathing at an even pace and at some point, he started humming. He looked so much at peace.

Who in the world is this boy?

"She's in a better place." That was Sebastian to me, or maybe not to me at all. Maybe he was trying to convince himself of the "good" in all he went through.

"She was just seventeen," I quipped when I sensed he wasn't going to say anything else in elaboration. "Why didn't she seek help? She could've spoken up—"

"Hey!" he snapped, muting me instantly. "You do not know anything, Evan." Sebastian's jaw clenched and his eyes darkened. I noticed this even though he wasn't looking at me or in my direction. I noticed his hands tighten around the edge of the bench as well, making me almost shift in my seat.

"Don't you dare speak of her." His voice was level but firm and although I felt quite insulted that I was being spoken to like a sixth-grade student, I understood the command and decided to oblige. I knew if it got to a point where we had to exchange blows, Sebastian would beat me to a pulp.

The smart choice was to avoid every possible fight scenario and save myself the visit to the hospital, as well as the shame. While I could get him jailed in an instant, I would never be able to face the world again. I was the prize, I couldn't afford to be beaten to stupor.

"Alright," I nodded in obeisance. A part of me felt a bit guilty for what seemed like I was trying to open old wounds, but I knew I'd said nothing wrong. The truth was that if the girl had called for help, she might not have met such an ugly fate.

I glanced at Sebastian who had shifted posture into a slouch. He still stared into thin air, unblinking, but he looked much more relaxed than he'd looked a couple of minutes ago when he'd almost punched my grin off my face.

Something in me told me I was the first person to have triggered the boy to anything close to anger since we got to this campground.

Way to set records, Evan.

I sighed. Now, I felt guilty and I had no idea why.

"So," I started, when the silence between us had started to prick at my conscience—one I'd only just remembered I had on Friday. "Do you think you're ever going to, y'know, date, get married? Low-key all the girls have eyes for you. You're tapping my steeze."

Thankfully, it looked like the boy was back to his normal cheerful self. He turned to me with that mischievous glint in his eyes that usually indicated he was about to burst into hysterical rounds of laughter at the slightest move.