CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

TWENTY NINE

MAIA

Francine Rivers, Stephen King, Lisa Jewell, Elle Kennedy, etc. The fiction session of the Hillsview Academy was pretty impressive for a Nigerian secondary school. My secondary school could never.

I smiled, tracing my hands along the edge of the bookshelf and stopped when I reached one of my favorites by Kate Atkinson, Big Sky.

High-key, the Jackson Brodie franchise is peak.

"I'm about to close up, please get ready to leave." The cleaner whom I'd begged to let me into the library–considering it was out of bounds for us campers–called out to me from the front of the large space. I had no right to any of the books afterall, so I figured I'd just leave at once.

"That's okay," I smiled at her. "Thank you very much". Searching my wallet while walking towards the exit, I pulled out a fresh 1000 naira note and handed it to her before leaving the library. This was one long ass Friday.

It was roughly to six in the evening, leisure time, and I had nothing to do. I wasn't going to text Evan if he was so busy with Larisa and Willow to remember me and I figured Maina was probably with Iris, thus, my reason for coming to the library. Books were among my source of comfort in life.

I was about heading back to the hostels when I heard voices from beside the library on the side of the clinic. I thought I'd just ignore at first because frankly, it wasn't my business. Everyone was aware of what hormonal teenagers did at the slightest opportunity to be alone and I honestly really didn't want to be the one to walk in on any scene that might give me nightmares. This was until what sounded like a regular conversation began to morph into the sound of gentle pleading.

Although I was suspicious, I decided to ignore it and go on my way but there was something that kept nudging me to find out what was going on. Finally, I gave in and walked silently to the side of the library. I stood right at a corner from where I could hear the two parties involved clearly but I couldn't see them.

I really didn't need to see anything though, I knew her voice immediately I heard it. Resisting the urge to let out a deafening hiss, I started to walk away when I heard his name from her mouth.

"Trust me, Funke. Evan is an asshole. He's really not going to give you anything you want." Larisa declared, more in a pleading tone.

Turning around, I inched closer to the edge to see who this Funke was. I'd heard her name somewhere before for sure.

"And what do you think I want from Evan?" the girl replied Larisa in an impatient tone. "The world deserves to know you for who you really are, Larisa Adenekan".

"Funke, this will ruin me. You know it.", came Larisa's response and my curiosity was at its peak.

What's going on? How does it have to do with Evan?

"I don't see how that concerns me, madam. You knew what's at stake and you decided to continue... You know what? Excuse me, please. This is a waste of time."

"You think you'll get anything from Evan? You're wrong. He doesn't even know your name, Funke. He is not a good person."

The sound of footsteps without a single further word made me sure enough that whoever this Funke was, was as tired of Larisa's bullshit as I was. I knew I should turn around and leave at that moment, but I really didn't want to.