Chapter 24

MYA

Breakfast went by quickly, but it was nice to see Noah and Josh waiting for us. They smiled and even mentioned how nice it was to watch some films with me. I felt warmth ripple through me while I ate as they talked.

Stephanie and I ate quickly and headed out the door once we were all sorted.

Anya stayed quiet most of the time and settled back to sleep, but as soon as I walked toward the front door, she sat closer and looked through my eyes to see where we were going.

There was a car waiting for us. We climbed in and left.

Steph spoke about what the plan was for today, which was mainly me watching everyone, and then they would find the perfect fit for me. I was to see what they did as a company, and I could even see Darius in action as an alpha since he also worked on his alpha duties at the office. Knowing I would work with my mum's family felt right and even brought me closer to her somehow.

Anya was still quiet in my head, but she was relieved to feel I was okay. She knew I was worried about messing up, but Steph pointed out that I wouldn't be doing anything unless I was comfortable.

The car came to a stop when we came closer to a little cafe close by. Steph and I climbed out. The driver drove away while we headed inside. It was a corner place, making it look small outside. It was like something out of a book. There was a door and an enormous window that overlooked the street.

"Come on," Steph said, making me look at her as she smiled. "It's better inside."

Steph pulled open the door and headed inside while holding the door to me. I stepped inside, but my mouth was open when I took in the cafe's beauty. It was bigger inside. People were sitting around tables while drinking their coffees and talking.

The decorations around the cafe were simple but classy. On the far side, one wall was wallpapered while the others were painted. My eyes scanned around until they landed on a woman behind the counter. She had bright pink hair.

"That is Katya," Steph said, leaning closer to me. She owns this place. She makes the best coffee and even more delicious muffins."

Considering we had food at the house, the smell of the food was setting me off and making my stomach growl slightly. I shouldn't want any more food. I wasn't used to it.

I love the smell of muffins, especially blueberries.

Katya looked up and smiled. "Steph!" she said, letting her eyes move over to me. They slightly widened but recovered quickly.

Anya came close and stared at Katya. "She's a wolf," she murmured, keeping her eyes on Katya. "She must be part of the park or something."

I ignored her, knowing there was a possibility that pack members were close by.

Uncle Tom didn't mention how many acres he owned, but part of me wondered if he owned every part of this little island. From what I could smell, there were a few humans here, but the smell of food was overpowering my senses.

"Let's take a seat," Steph said, pulling me from my thoughts. I agreed and followed Steph to the corner table by the window.

I took my seat and looked out the window. "You see that big building opposite," Steph said, which made me glance at the building she mentioned and give her a nod. "That is the family office. Well, it is the pack house and office."

That caught my attention and made me look at her with wide eyes. Steph grinned and continued. "Your uncle never wanted to mix business and pleasure," she said, glancing back at the office. "He wanted somewhere the family could call their own, and no pack member would be."

I stared at her until she looked back at me.

"So, who lives at the pack house?" I asked.

Stephanie smiled.

"Most are single pack members," she said. "It is a place they can call home until they find their mate. All pack members are assigned jobs within the office and around the pack grounds."

I nodded, taking in everything she said as she continued. "There are many small businesses around that many pack members own," she said. "They are all funded through the pack and even more so by the alpha. The office runs many of the businesses."

"Like what?" I asked, which made her smile.

"Well, we have a lumber station," she said. "They supply many packs around and overseas with the wood that could be used for anything, such as tables. We also have some that sell items that wolves miss, such as meat, fuel, clothes, etc..."

"So, what did my—" I asked, but I stopped before I mentioned my pack. I was so engrossed in how their pack worked.

Steph looked at me as her eyes softened. "I take it you don't want to bring the pack up," she murmured, which made me nod slightly as she continued. I won't tell you anything. I let your uncle and Darius discuss everything with you since I don't have an answer. As for now, we will have some coffee and muffins. Then, head into the office."

I said nothing but looked over to see Katya walking over to our table with a smile. "What can I get you both?"

Steph told her what she wanted, and I did, too. Katya left while I looked out the window.

There were many people outside, but they were going about their day. There was so much more I needed to know about this pack. It was once my mother's.

Anya let out a whimper as I thought about our mum. Sometimes, memories help, but there weren't many of those toward the end.

Katya came back with our order and placed them on the table. I thanked her, but she looked at me. "I have to say," she said. "You look so much like your mum."

That last part caught me off guard.

Did she know my mother?

I looked at Steph, who was smiling, and then back at Katya. She smiled.

"I knew your mum when she was young," she said, staring at me. "We were best of friends when we were growing up."

I smiled at her.

"You will have to tell me all about what she was like back then," I murmured, feeling my heart break slightly at the mere thought and mention of my mother.

Anya was close, but she sent me warmth to help me with my emotions, which seemed to help me slightly. "That I can do," she said. "Many pop into the cafe soon. I can dig out old photos of her and even some of your uncle, too."

I nodded and smiled.

Katya looked at Steph and then back at me. "It is so nice to meet you," she said. "I will let you be to finish."

I said nothing while she walked away. My eyes darted to Steph, who was staring at me. "Are you okay?" she asked.

I gave her a nod but grabbed the mug of coffee. Keeping my eyes on the liquid before me, I spoke. "It's hard to talk about her since she has gone."

My eyes went up just as a lone tear escaped.

"I know Uncle Tom wants to know what happened," I said, which widened her eyes slightly, but she quickly recovered. But I can't talk about what happened. It is too hard. No one knows the truth, only what people believe."

"Mya—" she said, but I shook my head, which cut her off.

I was finding it hard to talk about all this.

Anya came closer to show herself, which made Steph stare wide-eyed at me, but she said nothing. She knew I was struggling.

"I got you," Anya whispered in my head.

Keeping my eyes on my muffin, I picked at it and kept drinking my coffee. Steph and I didn't talk, but I could feel her eyes on me the entire time.

The moment we were done, we were going into the office. I needed to calm down before we went there. I didn't want to show anything, especially not my emotions. I had to learn to control myself and more, but it would have to be over time.