Chapter 16

CONNOR

Jamie and I walk further in and take a seat on the couch away from them. "Well," my father murmured, giving me a questionable look.

"I have chosen Nikki as my chosen mate," I blurt out, getting straight to the point. Dax growls in my head. "She not our mate," he grumbles. "I won't accept her."

"I know that!" I muttered to him. I look back at him. "Nikki is helping us find our mate," I say back to him. "This is to keep Dad off our backs. We can still look for her without him looking over our shoulder."

Dax glares at me, which made me look back at my father. I couldn't deal with him when he was being unreasonable. "That's great news, we should announce it soon," my father says and smiles.

I smile, but nothing. My eyes drifted to Trevor, who had a blank expression on his face. "We will have to plan it," my father continued. "We will do it soon."

I looked at my father and nodded. I gave Jamie a nudge next to me. We needed to get hold of Darius about the company, but we had to do it without our father's knowing.

"Um, Dad," Jamie says suddenly, which pulls Trevor out of his thoughts. My eyes go to his old man, and I watch him change before my eyes. He looks at him with a smile. "Yes, son."

Jamie looks at me and then back at him. "I was wondering if I could reach out to Darius as a cousin," he says, but before he could even finish, both of our fathers growl together. "No, you can't."

What the hell?

"Why not?' I asked, confused. "He is his family. He can—"

My father looks at Trevor, but Trevor sighs loudly, which cuts me off. "You can't, son," he says, looking between the both of us. "We never told your uncle what happened to your mother. Well, that is not what truly happened. It would have been too painful for him to understand, and it would have ended with—"

"You didn't care about mum," Jamie blurts out with a growl. I could feel his anger. "What excuse did you give him?"

"We told him she was killed in an attack," Trevor murmured, making us look at him.

Dax growled in my head, not liking what he was hearing. They were her family, they had the right to know how she died.

Trevor sighs and continues. "Jamie, your uncle is a powerful man and would have caused a war for your mother," he said, sounding desperate. "I was supposed to take care of his sister, but after everything that happened. I resented her and never wanted anything to do with that family."

Trevor looks at my father and then back at us. "Darius came to us about starting a fresh deal when his father retired," he said. "That's why Gamma Stan was looking into it. He made an offer to Darius, and he accepted without any mention of your mum or..."

Trevor looks at Jamie. I didn't need to look at my best friend to know what he was thinking. I could feel it. He was angry, and he had every right to me. They stopped him, and still doing it now, from speaking to the family on his mother's side. Trevor gulps and continues again. "Anyway, we think he is not your relative as he never looked like Tom or his mate," he says.

My eyes darted to my blank friend. I felt Dax move and look at him. "His wolf is talking to him," he muttered. "He is trying to calm him down." I have never heard of a wolf doing that for his human. It is usually the other way around.

Jamie shakes his head and glares at his father. "So, what about Uncle Tom?" He asks, "What does he do now?"

I look back at Trevor, who shrugs. "I don't know," he murmured. "I think Gamma Stan mentioned that he was living somewhere away from the pack, but he couldn't say for certain."