Chapter 21

MYA

After a shower, I walked out of the bathroom and went over to the closet. I opened it and when my eyes landed on the clothes, my eyes widened. There were so many.

Grabbing a pair of leggings and a T-shirt, I got dressed. I glanced at myself in the mirror and sighed. I looked normal until my eyes went to my arm. Moving it slightly, I looked at the scars.

There was a time when I would hide these. I hated people staring at me. It was bad enough that they blamed me for other things; I didn't want them to have other reasons to look at me.

Anya moved closer till she was up with me. My eyes stayed on the scars. I knew she was looking at them, but her warmth was calming. "They make you who you are," she murmured, which made me look back at the mirror with a frown while she continued. "They may look horrible, but it—"

I knew what she was going to say, but I shook my head. "Don't," I whispered. "Don't say that. I know what you are going to say and I can't—"

Anya said nothing, but her eyes softened. "Mya," she whispered. "You saved her. It wasn't your fault that no one came when you screamed. It was on them."

I closed my eyes, while my emotions got the better of me. I knew I shouldn't think about that night. I promised myself I wouldn't.

There is a reason I don't talk about it. That night may be the worst night of my life because my mother died, but it was the night I had to be braver than I ever had to be. It was something that no girl should have to go through.

Anya stepped back and stared at me, but said nothing. She knew how I was feeling, she could sense it all.

"It's okay, Mya," she whispered. "No one will harm you."

Letting my mind drift somewhere else, I needed to stop this. I was going to be spending time with Lexi, Noah, and Josh. Family that I have only known for a few days.

A knock came on the door, which pulled me from my thoughts. I opened my eyes just as my door opened and in walked Lexi. Her eyes went around the room until they landed on me.

She smiled, but it went when a lone tear escaped.

"Mya," she whispered, pushing open the door and stepping inside. "You okay?"

I nodded but looked back at myself in the mirror.

Without looking at her, I let out a sigh. "I never let people see my scars," I said. "Or Anya."

My eyes darted to her, which were soft. Lexi moved closer to me and placed her arm around my shoulders. She gave a squeeze before she spoke. "You don't have to hide them from any of us," she said, making me look back in the mirror. Her eyes met mine, which made Anya move closer.

We stayed like that for a few moments until she dropped her arm and placed it into my hand. "Mya," she said. "You don't have to tell us what happened. Not until you are ready. But know that any one of us will listen when you want to. Whatever happened to you, it should never have happened. No one should have gone through that, not even you."

I gave her a small smile.

With a sigh, I let go of her hand and smiled.

"So, what are we doing for the evening?" I asked, which only made her grin.

"Well, Josh and Noah are showering and then will meet us on the patio for food," she said while turning around and pulling me along with her. "Then we can watch some films."

I smiled as we stepped out of my room and headed toward the patio while she talked. "What films do you like?" she asked, which made me look at her. My cheeks flamed while I spoke. "I don't know," I said. "I didn't exactly get to watch anything while growing up."