Chapter 14

CONNOR

TWO WEEKS LATER

It has been two weeks, and still no sign of Mya. The trail went cold by the garage.

Dax has been on edge all the time, wondering where she is, and even has gone to great lengths in not talking to me. But it all started when my father and Trevor are constantly telling me to chose a mate. I kept ignoring my father's pleas about finding a chosen mate but it getting harder. I play it down to being too busy or training. Dax growls and even threatens them in my head. He always wants to rage out at them and tells me that when we are alpha, no one will stop us from finding our mate.

"Mate is out there," he growls.

As for me, I am in two minds. Ever since seeing the scene at the restroom at school with all of our mate's blood smeared everywhere, I have completely become withdrawn. My mind is always on Mya. I pray that she is safe and not dead somewhere, but somehow I know she is alive, I just need proof. I know I don't deserve to know especially with the way I have been

toward her, or how I let others influence me. I'm trying to keep the faith, but it is getting harder. No one has seen her since the day before her birthday. Well, not her actual birthday.

Shaking my thoughts away and getting back to work, I look over the documents that have been sitting on my desk for a few days. I have been with Jamie to look around a few neighbouring packs for Mya, but everywhere we turn, there is no such luck.

There was a knock at the door, "Come in," I shouted, and in walked Nikki and Jamie.

After the whole thing that happened and in the search for Mya, I told all the women to leave me alone. Most of them were confused but after a few attempts at trying to seduce me, I let Dax take over, and let's just say none of them have come back since.

Nikki stayed close by, offering friendship, which was all I really needed. I remember having a good drink and blurting out that Mya was my mate. Nikki was pissed that I was so careless. I explained everything, and she offered to pretend to be my chosen mate if I needed her to, just

to keep everyone off my back. Ever since then, Nikki has been by my side and has also been helping us search for Mya.

Jamie clears his throat, which pulls me back, and looks at me. "You haven't done any work in two weeks," he asks. "Do you need any help?"

I frown. "I haven't done anything," I say and notice Laura coming towards the offices, heading to her father's door.

I groan out loud as Jamie and Nikki look behind them and notice who I am looking at, but when they turn back to look at me with the same expression as mine. "Is she still trying to get with you?" Nikki blurts out.

"Yeah," I say through gritted teeth."She has been following me everywhere. I try to sneak around but she seems to know where I am at all times."

Ever since Mya has gone and I told the other girls to leave, Laura has been trying to get with me every chance she can get. She is everywhere I am and has even gone to great lengths, as in laying naked on my bed. That happened one evening after a grueling training session. When I saw her, I flipped out and threw her out. You would have thought she would have gotten the hint, but she hasn't, and she still comes back for more.

Kandy, one of the girls I used to sleep with, came up to me and told me that she thinks that something is up with her. Kandy and I may have had a past, but besides Nikki, she has become a friend, too. It seems that Laura has been asking around who I am with and what I have been doing, which is odd.

"Connor, something is up, dude," Jamie said suddenly, pulling me from my thoughts.

I looked at him and gave him a nod. "I know," I say through clenched teeth. "I don't know what to suggest or do. She won't take the hint."

Nikki clears her throat and starts to speak. Jamie and I look at her. "I think I have an idea of dealing with her," she said, glancing between us. "Why don't we make an announcement that we are to be chosen mates? That way, she can back off. Also, it can stop your both fathers from mentioning it too."

I said nothing, but she continued. I was trying to piece together if it would work. Dax growls in my head with annoyance, but I ignore him. "I think if we mention that we are mates, then she may leave you alone, but Connor, my deal still stands. I want my mate, not you."

Both I could process what was going on. Jamie smiles and speaks. "I think it might be a good idea, especially since your father keeps nagging you about getting a new mate, even though Mya has not been gone a month yet."

A low growl rumbles through him.

I know I never wanted Mya before, but ever since the night before her birthday when I went to see her, everything has changed. I realized I was a fool to be thinking about looks and with my dick. Mya went through something traumatic as a child, and not only that, but she never opened up about it to anyone, thinking about it, she had no one to talk to about it.

Shaking my thoughts away, I looked at them. "I think we should go ahead and announce to my father that we are mates," I say to Nikki. She smiles and nods.

Before anyone could speak further, A knock came on my door; I looked up and noticed the guy standing, looking between us. I wave him in and smile. The guy walks in and smiles. "Hi, I am looking for Alpha Connor," he asked. I gave him a nod, and he stepped closer. "I'm Charlie. I'm new to the pack."

Charlie looks between all three of us and smiles. "I was wondering if you knew of any jobs going as I need to earn some cash," he says.

I looked at him and nodded, knowing exactly what job I could offer him.

Charlie came from another pack to train with us. My father approved it a while back. I only knew about him when it came to my attention that he had been looking for some work. I was tasked with looking for a new assistant. He would be ideal. I didn't want to work with a woman. I knew what she-wolves are like, and they would expect a lot more than a job. I wasn't risking it.

I smile at him.

"Ah, Charlie, how are you finding it here in the pack?" I ask. "I hope everyone is making you feel welcome."

Charlie grins. "It is a lot bigger than mine pack, sir," he says. "It has taken me some time to get used to the lay of the land. I know I am here to train, but I do need a job. I don't know how I can afford to do anything otherwise."

I nodded.

"Well, you have come to the right place," I said. "Are you any good with filing and inputting stuff on the computer? I am in need of an assistant here in my part of the office. I have taken on more responsibilities from my father, which also means I will be dealing with our main trading firm."

Charlie nodded and smiled.

"I know quite a bit about computers, sir," he says. "I have a degree in them, and I think I can manage some filing. I will do whatever you need me to do."

I grinned.

"Well, you can start now," I said, glancing over to the boxes near the stairs outside. "There are boxes near the stairs. Could you file them away in the office in the corner? Nikki will show you where you can put them and what to do. When you have completed, I will find something else for you to do."

Charlie nods and looks towards Nikki, who is walking out the door.

Charlie looks back at me and bows. He looks up and smiles. "Thank you, Alpha," he said, turning to leave and following Nikki out the door.