Chapter 20

UNCLE TOM

Leaving Mya to have time with the rest of the family, I walked toward the front door and headed to the car.

Darius and I made the meeting with some of the smaller firms to discuss more about what we were planning on doing with the trade with Mya's old pack.

There was nothing more holding us to keep the alliance with them, but we needed to wait. Mya needed to learn to trust us, which was hard to even understand since we were her family. Maybe spending time with the others may help loosen that tension she has.

But thinking about the way she was treated back in her old pack, there was no surprise that she felt like that. No one was there for her, not even her own father's brother, which was more heartbreaking. Her father was a cruel man, but I had to push my feelings for the man aside and concentrate on my niece. That's what my sister would want me to do.

Climbing into the car, I gave a nod to the driver to pull off. Once we were out of the compound of the house, and heading toward the direction of the office, I let my mind wonder more.

Mya is the only one who truly knows what happened to my sister and I wanted answers. That pathetic excuse of an alpha didn't give me any details or anything, and even asked his gamma to deal with me, which I found insulting. I knew I had to wait for her to heal, but I also needed answers.

The drive to the office took shorter as the driver slipped past the traffic that was building up. Once we arrived, I stepped out and headed to the top floor, where Darius and Stephanie were waiting for me.

The image of Mya's wolf came to mind, which stirred my wolf awake. "Little wolf is like what the legend states," he muttered, which I ignored. I heard all this before from him. He was in awe of her presence, hell even Lexi's wolf was.

"She needs to train," he muttered, which only made me frown.

"Noah will train her," I said, looking back at him once I got into the elevator. I was in my own little world and ignored everyone who saw me, but my mind was elsewhere. Many heard that my niece had arrived and I knew rumors were circulating our pack about what was happening.

Stephanie wanted to address it, but I mentioned telling them more when we knew more. There was no point in giving the pack members half a story. They will have questions we may not have answers to. I learned as a young alpha to be honest with my pack, my father instilled it into me and my sister. We were always to tell the truth.

The ping of the elevator came, which pulled me from my thoughts. I stepped off and looked around. There was no one around.

Thank the goddess.

We didn't need any more gossip flying around here.

With a sigh, I walked toward the main office, where I knew Stephanie and Darius were waiting for me. I walked in and looked up to find them both, looking cozy.

My heart sank slightly, remembering how much I missed my mate.

Catrina, my Luna and the love of my life fell ill and took her away from us. There was no cure for what she had, which made it even more hard to stomach. Even though werewolves rarely get ill, my mate's illness was something that couldn't have been prevented.

Clearing my throat, Stephanie and Darius looked up and smiled. They moved apart slightly. They usually did this when I was around, which they didn't need to do, but I guess they knew I was still grieving for my Catrina.

"Did you make arrangements for two weeks for the meeting with the trade companies?" I asked, walking over to them and sat down.

Stephanie nodded.

"Yeah," she said. "I arranged it myself."

I gave her a nod and looked toward my son.

"How's Mya?" he asked with concern. "Is she healing? What about—"

I held my hand up to stop him. I knew they had loads of questions, but it was the same thing as when they last asked me.

"Still the same," I said with a sigh. "She had her first training session with Noah, who seemed to like putting Lexi in her place."

Stephanie giggled.

"I bet she loved that," she said with a smile.

I nodded but looked between the both of them when I carried on. "Mya is doing okay," I said. "She is still healing. It seems her wolf is slowly doing it. We still don't know what that pack did to her at all. I went to see the doctor who cleared up her wound. He told me that the scars she has will be still there, but some will fade in time, all depending on her wolf."

With a sigh, I looked toward the table where there was a stack of papers. "As for her run," I said, making them both move in their chairs slightly. "She is definitely the red wolf we heard about."

Darius's eyes widened, while Stephanie smiled.

"Knew it," she muttered, making us look at her as she continued. "She is one special kid. We just need her to heal and train."

Looking at the papers, I knew what we had to do.

"I have been thinking," I said, making Darius groan.

My wolf chuckled while I frowned, but ignored my son. "I want Mya to help in the office," I said, which only made Darius frown. "She already will be. We discussed it," he muttered, which only made me shake my head.

"I know that," I said with a frown. "I want her to look through all the dealings we had with her pack. See if she can find something we can't. Lexi and her may be younger, but two fresh pair of eyes are better than nothing."

They both nodded.

"What about dealing with the alpha?" Stephanie asked, but looked at Darius and then back at me. "Will it be Darius or you?"

"Darius," I blurt out, making them both look at me. "If I ask questions, they will block me and wonder why I'm still on the boards and doing alpha duties, especially when Darius has taken over."

I looked between the both of them before I continued. "Darius will have to play nice," I said, which made him let out a low growl, but I ignored him. "Let's find out over the next few weeks what happens and see who you deal with. Maybe Mya can tell you what she knows, even help with some stuff."

"And the trading?" Darius asked.

The corners of my lips curled up slightly into a grin. "We will talk to the others as planned," I said. "Tell them what we plan to do and why. They will agree since it will be the alpha command to do so. We can slowly take away some until it is us left."

"Do you think they will come to us when that happens?" Stephanie asked.

"I am contacting on it," I said with a brighter grin. "Once they contact us, we can strike and move in. It will be up to Mya, but until she tells us what happened to Maria and her, we have to wait till then."

They both nodded and we sat in silence until Darius spoke. "Mac told me he placed someone in the pack," he said, which made me arch my eyebrows at him. That was fast, even for Mac.

Darius grinned.

"Mac knew someone close by who owed him a favor when he was there last when Steph was there," he said with a smirk but said nothing else.

Clearly, there was something that Mac didn't tell us.

Stephanie sighed.

"Shall we do the paperwork now?" she asked with a deep frown. "We have to sort out with the limber men about the next shipment."

I nodded.

"Let's do this," I said, looking between them. "We can sort it all out."

Darius moved the papers and handed them to each of us.

This is one of the most boring parts of any job, but the sooner we get it done, the sooner we can get home. I wanted to spend more time with Mya. I wanted her to know she was safe here and that she could trust me and the rest of the family. I know it will take time, and we will give her that.