Chapter 4

MYA

I woke earlier than planned.

It was cold last night.

There was an amazing scent in my room. It smelt of musk and forest.

Whatever it was, Anya was happy. She was humming in my head.

I look over and pick up my phone. The time was early, but the date was real.

My birthday, and I'm 18.

I get up and get myself ready, placing yesterday's clothes in the bag to was later. I grab another pair of jeans, but these were blue, a long-sleeved white top, and the same sneakers.

I brush my hair and place it in a braid. I might not have any friends, and my family hates me, but I will make this day as good as I can.

I grab my bag and one apple from the pocket of my hoodie. I bite it as I descend the stairs but stop short as my eyes are on the ground. There on the floor is an envelope.

I have nothing on my birthday, not even a card since my mother's death.

I place my bag on the floor and pick up the card. I open it; it was a pretty card. It read:

Happy birthday Mya. I am leaving today. I was wondering if you would like to leave with me. Meet me at this place when you get a chance and don't bring your phone with you. Love Stephanie.

The teacher that helped me, she sent me a card.

I read over the message again, and on the bottom was a number and a little message. "This number is for someone you can trust. They want to help you."

I can feel Anya coming close and reading the card.

"What are we going to do?" She asks, looking at the card, "Are we leaving?"

I sigh.

"I think we should. It would be a fresh start somewhere new," I say. "Stephanie can help us leave. I can't stand it here much longer."

"What about our mate?" She asks.

But I feel sad. "Why would he want me? He would probably reject me as soon as he looks at me," I mutter.

She says nothing. She purrs into me. "We will be fine, Mya. We will leave if you want to. We can after school."

I grown. "I have to pop to the office. I forgot the money from yesterday," I say. "We can collect it straight after school, and then we can leave."

Anya nods. "Sounds like a plan, but if we see mate, we will see if he wants us," she says, sounding hopeful, but I have no hope left.

I open my bag and place the card inside. I knew Jamie might come, so I thought I better take it with me, as he might get suspicious.

I open the front door and head to school. I take longer as I have to walk.

Once I arrive an hour early, it is still early. There is no one around.

I walk into the building and walk to my locker. I pull open the door, but an arm wraps around my waist, and one goes to my mouth. I am dragged into the bathroom. I try to kick and scream, but it is no use.

Once we are in the bathroom, I look around and notice Laura standing in front of me. "I knew your brother didn't take you this morning as I was in his bed last night," she says with a grin. "so I thought I would come in early so I can have some fun with you. We were interrupted yesterday," she snarls.