FORTY

CHAPTER FORTY
many goodbyes

     THE WOUND WAS INFECTED

THE WOUND WAS INFECTED. Kaori had grunted when Aguni had removed the bandage from her shoulder and she was now looking at a rather nasty injury.

Slumped against a tree, Kaori looked completely out of it. Her skin was turning a greyish yellow, goosebumps making her shiver incessantly as pearls of sweat were covering her forehead and neck.

Further away, Aguni, Heiya and Arisu were watching the girl, fully aware that she couldn't stay with them in her current state.

"She needs actual medicine," Aguni spoke.

Arisu looked very concerned, his eyes almost never leaving the figure of the brunette in fear of seeing her collapse. Aware that this was only just a fever, it still didn't erase that lingering feeling of nervousness.

He had seen too many people dying because of him, he didn't know if he could live with another death on his conscience. Especially since she had taken a bullet trying to save him from the King of Spades.

"How do we get her out of here?" Arisu asked. "What if we meet with the King of Spades on our way?"

"I'll do it," Aguni calmly said.

Heiya and Arisu both snapped their heads at him, "What?"

"When we were waiting to see if she would win the Queen of Diamonds' game, I saw a pharmacy near the venue," he explained. "I'll just take her there."

"Alone?"

"The more we are, the more dangerous it could get," Aguni said.

"Can't just... one of us go get some medicine and bring it to her here?" Heiya asked.

Aguni frowned, "No. Even if we do that, she can't be around when we try to kill the King."

"Why not?" Heiya asked, growing frustrated at the idea of being separated from Aguni.

"Because he'd definitely kill her in a heartbeat," he replied. "She won't be able to defend herself."

"We could just hide her under—"

Heiya was interrupted by Arisu, "No! We're not hiding her somewhere in here! Maybe you don't care because you just met her but we do."

Kaori caught the slight raise in Arisu's voice, something very uncommon, and let out a heavy breath as she finally looked at the trio, "What's going on?"

"If Aguni says he'll bring her to a pharmacy, we let him," Arisu finished with a serious look plastered on his face.

Aguni nodded in agreement and rose on his feet, making his way to the brunette, "Do you think you can walk?"

Kaori waved her hand in front of her with a snort, "Come on, I'm not dying, what's that question."

She couldn't help the grunt out of her throat when she pushed on the ground to get up, "Of course, I can walk," but her body immediately lurched backwards as everything started spinning.