TWO

CHAPTER TWO
seven of diamonds

     KAORI AND ASUKA were standing in front of an isolated building, the walls that were most certainly once white were now a dark grey, proving it had definitely been abandoned at some point

Another light panel was glowing above the doors, again with the word « GAME » on it.

A game? Is this some sort of... simulation? Because I don't remember ever seeing any panel like that in town. Kaori knew she wouldn't find any piece of information just by standing in front of the building. She walked up the few stairs and was about to open the door leading inside that she was interrupted by Asuka's trembling voice, "What are you doing?!"

Kaori turned around, confused, "I'm going in...?"

"Why?" Asuka's tone betrayed her clear fear and Kaori wished she could soothe her but the truth was she couldn't.

"What do you mean, why?" Kaori asked, "Don't you want to know what's going on?"

"Y—Yeah... but—"

"Game means players," Kaori interrupted, which was really out of character for her, "I'm pretty sure there are other people inside. And, if I'm wrong, I'll let you rub it in my face forever."

Asuka couldn't deny she liked that side of Kaori. Confident and assertive, as if to tell her she could count on her. Asuka wouldn't ever say it out loud but if there was one person she would trust blindly, it was definitely Kaori. So she followed her inside the building.

The room was plunged in a fairly dim light as a single spot in the middle of the room was enlightening a round table. Kaori finally noticed other people were scattered all over the room, most standing near the walls, each of them holding a phone.

"You were right," Asuka whispered, following the girl closely as she made her way to the table. A tiny cardboard stood at the edge of the table, « One per person. », there were only two phones left.

Kaori frowned and finally looked at the other participants.

An elderly man who looked lost, he is staring at the phone as if it's a groundbreaking discovery, hm..., a tall and bulky man with a massive tatoo covering his right shoulder, I like the tatoo thing but his eyes are so lifeless he looks dumb, a young girl in a black dress who was violently shaking, poor girl's about to have a panic attack over something that hasn't even started yet, another woman who was standing straight and looking calm, too bad your lips quivered or else I would've bought that soothing attitude, and, finally, leaning against the wall, a young man with a hood covering his hair even though Kaori could tell he was blonde.

They made eye contact and Kaori unintentionally furrowed her eyebrows, why does he somehow seem familiar? And why is he looking at me like he's already seen me somewhere too?