TWENTY THREE

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE
parting ways

     KAORI, CHISHIYA, Kuina and Usagi were in Arisu's room, closely listening to the blonde man's plan

KAORI, CHISHIYA, Kuina and Usagi were in Arisu's room, closely listening to the blonde man's plan. With Hatter dead, they most certainly had an opening to find the safe and get out of here.

"The cards gathered by all the members of the Beach are kept in a safe in Hatter's room," Chishiya explained, "The password to the safe is kept and sealed inside a black envelope. The envelope is opaque and kept in utmost secrecy and can only be opened when there is a new number One."

Kaori had been a part of the succession ceremony and could definitely confirm that the envelope was anything but see-through. It was kind of weird but this one moment shared in heavy silence had made her realize how her life had turned into a weirdly scripted movie.

"The new number One will check the password alone in front of all the executive members," Chishiya said, "Then he will place the paper with the password into a new envelope and seal it. It will then be signed by all the executive members before being stashed away once more."

Chishiya had explained the process exactly the way it had happened, "First, Arisu will infiltrate Hatter's room. Then, he will search for the safe and steal the cards."

"What about the password?"

"I have an idea for that," Chishiya smiled, giving him a walkie-talkie, "I'll tell you when you're in front of the safe."

"You're really cautious," Arisu pointed out. "I got it."

"Usagi and Kuina will be on the lookout," Chishiya said.

"This is too dangerous. If we're discovered, we'll be killed," Usagi whispered.

Arisu glanced at the girl, "This is the only way to change the current situation. Now that Hatter's dead and that there's no unity at the Beach, the time's right for this plan."

Chishiya finally looked at Kaori, "Kaori will be with Aguni. He is likely to give a speech, she'll make sure to keep him away as long as possible."

Kaori had expected that. It made sense that she would be the one around Aguni since it seemed like he was open to her presence and interested in her expertise.

But, deep down, she was aware that Chishiya hadn't revealed the whole plan. It looked way too easy and in no way Arisu would be able to find the safe on his own.

She didn't even bother to knock before walking in Chishiya's room.

He was sitting on his bed, eyes focused on the book Kaori had given him when she appeared behind him. He stared at her reflection through the window as a small smirk stretched his lips.

"You don't know where the safe is."

Chishiya closed the book and turned around to face the girl. On the desk, near the windows, she saw what seemed to be the perfect equipment of a physicist. Pinned above the stash of wires and tools, a little drawing. A circle with lines coming from every corner and interlacing somewhere in the middle.