FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
six of clubs

     KAORI HAD BEEN in her designated bedroom for the rest of the day, not really in the mood to socialize or even to explore the place

KAORI HAD BEEN in her designated bedroom for the rest of the day, not really in the mood to socialize or even to explore the place. She had taken a long shower, enjoying the hot water, and tried to sleep but she had failed, only dozing off for about thirty minutes.

As she walked out of her room, making her way to the main lobby before playing a game, she realized she had made it to The Beach without Asuka.

This place that Asuka was the first one to bring up, here she was, without her. Only because she had said no. If Asuka had been selfish, she would probably still be alive right now. She'd be here. If I hadn't been so skeptical, I wouldn't be here alone... hell, maybe I wouldn't be here at all but Asuka would...

Guilt was starting to creep up inside of her and she could feel her stomach twisting, her throat clenching. She considered running off, feeling like she could throw up at any moment when a voice brought her out of her thoughts, "I guess we're playing together again."

Now, Kaori had not heard this voice much. It was easy to recognize but it was quite a surprise when she spun on her heels to see Chishiya standing next to her with a tall girl besides him.

The girl wore a navy blue bathing suit and a golden necklace was adorning her neck. She had very nice braids and Kaori thought she was really pretty, her face was angelic with very soft eyes.

She waved at her with a smile, "Hi, I'm Kuina."

"Kaori," she replied, genuinely smiling back.

Kuina had a fake cigarette in between her lips, she was lightly playing with it, "I wonder what it's going to be tonight... Say, what type of games are you good at?"

Kaori shrugged, "I don't know... Definitely not spades."

"Ah!" Kuina chuckled, "I'm good at those so no worries."

Again, Kaori's face turned blank and she felt herself disconnecting from her body. Asuka was good at those too... Great, actually.

Aguni was walking towards the small group, gesturing for them to follow, "We're in the same game, let's go."

Chishiya leaned in, his mouth very close from her ear as she tensed, "Aguni asked to be in your game... I think he's your key to becoming an executive member."

Slowly, she turned her face, now realizing their proximity, "Who's to say you're not? For all I know, you could've asked to be in my game too."

Chishiya's lips twitched at her words and a smug smile appeared on Kaori's face, knowing her assumption was right. She pushed herself off the wall, not once breaking the eye contact, "Yeah, I knew it," and she turned around, following Aguni and Kuina, Chishiya just a few feet behind her, back to his usual silent self.