SIX

CHAPTER SIX
nice mask

     "THREE MINUTES have passed

     "THREE MINUTES have passed."

Gun shots echoed in the building. Kaori's heart clenched at the noise, her mind immediately wandering to Asuka and she wished more than anything to be with her at this exact moment. Or more so for Asuka to be on the top floor with her.

Maybe it was because she knew she would never stand a chance in front of a man holding a gun, carelessly shooting at anyone, maybe it had to do with this tiny selfish part within herself, the one telling her that her own life came first.

A feeling of disgust invaded her brain. Asuka was the one saying she could take a bullet for her and, here she was, listening to this stupid inner voice blabbering about her own selfishness.

Some more gun shots pulled her out of this dark inner space. She easily recognized the two men —those collared by Nitobe before the game started, running and hiding on the third floor, the tagger not spotting them before he went onto the second level.

The tagger's walk was steady and calm. From Kaori's point of view, it almost seemed robotic. Very much in contrast to those trying to escape him, in this case, two girls in preppy dresses.

The tagger shot a first girl. Nothing's happening, she's just sleeping. The second one screamed and tried to run away, she was shot within a second. Oh, she's sleeping too. What a curious place for a nap.

In four games, Kaori had seen a lot of people die. Picturing dead people sleeping quickly became a coping mechanism. It seemed to work until it was time for her to actually sleep. Her dreams had turned into nightmares and it had nothing to do with the uncomfortable booth that was now her new bed.

Now, two new people would most certainly join her restless nights.

She needed to think about something else and anything would do the trick, "What a fucking ugly mask."

Next to her, Chishiya snickered at her words, "Could be worse."

Kaori's lips cracked into an amused smile, glancing at him, "Please, tell me you are afraid of clowns, it would be the funniest thing in the world."

Chishiya, who was known to remain composed and unimpressed by anyone or anything thrown at him, didn't even realize that his face had involuntarily contorted at Kaori's blatant mockery. For a second, he was speechless.

A voice broke the silence, "Everyone! The tagger is currently on the second level of the central area! The tagger has bad vision because of his mask!"

Kaori smirked, recognizing the brunette's voice, ugly mask but good for us.

"Let's inform each other of the tagger's location and search for the safezone together!"

"It's a good idea, but no one will respond," Chishiya pointed out casually.