FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE
five of spades

     SO FAR, Kaori and Asuka had completed four different games

SO FAR, Kaori and Asuka had completed four different games. Five of clubs, three of spades, two of diamonds and, of course, seven of diamonds.

Kaori had come to the conclusion that each symbol referred to a certain game type —diamonds being intellectual games meanwhile spades seemed to be purely physical, whereas the numbers were about difficulty. She had figured that last part out after comparing both diamonds' games, the two of diamonds being fairly easy after what they had to go through the very first time.

What Kaori knew as well, was that a specific symbol had yet to appear in any of her games. The heart. It wouldn't make any sense to purposefully ignore one symbol and Kaori was convinced it would finally show and, maybe, clarify a few things about this whole place.

Asuka was leaning against the doorframe, "You ready?" and lazily tying her hair up when Kaori nodded, noticing the knife's handle poking out of her back pocket before she covered it with her shirt.

Kaori quickly looked away, ignoring the chills running down her spine. She didn't use it during any game so far. It's just precautionary. Better safe than sorry, right?

It had almost become a new habit —Kaori didn't feel like using the word routine just yet, the two of them walking through deserted streets until they would stumble across a game.

Tonight was no different, walking silently until they faced a large white building that was fully lit, meaning it was a game arena.

The two girls exchanged a glance, as if confirming they were both ready for it, and they walked past the barely noticeable laser barrier, knowing it was now impossible for them to back down.

A few people were clustered around the table, Asuka taking the lead as she handed Kaori a phone.

As usual, they earned suspicious looks from a bunch of people —Kaori could not care any less, fully aware that she always glared at people no matter the context as she recalled how her mother would spend hours ever since she was a child telling her how rude it was to look at people this way.

But her eyes lingered on a familiar face. The blonde man from the first game. Leaning against a wall, the hood of his white jacket still covering his head, what's with the hood, is he trying to look all mysterious? And, to Kaori's surprise, headphones in his ears, connected to a music player that was currently plugged into a wall outlet.

Kaori easily covered the smirk slowly creeping onto her lips when she caught his eyes already on her, quickly looking down at his own feet, as she wondered what he was listening to.

I could give my soul away for some music right now. Maybe I could ask him where he found that... hell, I could steal it. I saved his life after all.

Kaori's thoughts were interrupted by two men —probably around her age, bursting into the building, "There are a lot of people here. I wonder if there's a doctor."