TWENTY SIX

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX
card reminder

     CHISHIYA PREVENTING KAORI from going downstairs had proven to be the right choice

CHISHIYA PREVENTING KAORI from going downstairs had proven to be the right choice. Arisu had been beaten up by Aguni, Asahi had thickened the veil of mystery around this place by revealing she was the game's dealer and Niragi had emerged from the flames with a burnt body and with the sole purpose to kill everybody standing in his way.

The game had been solved and the Beach was now a memory, the building burning in the heavy flames when Chishiya and Kuina walked out of the fire to find Kaori sitting a few feet away, her eyes glued on the blaze.

Ain't got no real answers in here either...

Her eyes drifted to the pair she had grown to inevitably appreciate when Chishiya extended a hand in her direction, handing her out a game card.

She huffed, "What, you're giving it to me now that you know it won't be our way out of here?"

Kaori grabbed the card, a smirk stretching her mouth but it immediately vanished when she realized Chishiya hadn't handed her the Ten of Hearts' card.

It was the Eight of Hearts.

When she looked back up, Chishiya still had his hand stretched out towards her, an invite to help her get up, "I thought you'd like it back."

Her lids opened wider when she understood that Chishiya had kept this specific card because of her. She remained speechless, unsure if any word would be strong enough to express what this gesture really meant.

Because of its outcome, this specific game was probably the worst one she ever had to endure and, if she was ever given the opportunity to go back in time, she would never do it again.

In the end, this card didn't mean anything besides the pain. But... it might remind me to keep on trying. For Asuka...

Kaori grabbed Chishiya's hand and he helped her up, never once breaking the eye contact when he did.

He didn't release the grip on her hand immediately, fingers lingering for a few seconds before Kaori noticed Kuina's growing smirk from the corner of her eyes, letting go of his hand and blinking furiously as she finally looked away.

Her heart beats had increased, what the fuck just happened?!

Calm as usual, Chishiya pulled out a piece of paper from his pocket and Kaori recognized the very bad drawing that was once pinned on his bedroom wall. He looked at the two girls, "Do you know what that is?"

The girls shared a confused look and Kaori scratched the back of her head, "Hm... not to be rude but drawing isn't really your forte."

"Yeah, you're being too nice there," Kuina jumped in, "This sucks."

Chishiya rolled his eyes, "I found it in the pocket of a tagger after the Five of Spades game."

"You went through that woman's pockets when she was dead?" Kaori grimaced. "Wait, that was, like, years ago!"