THIRTY NINE

CHAPTER THIRTY NINE
fever dream

     IF ARUSI COULD OPEN his mouth even wider, he definitely would

IF ARUSI COULD OPEN his mouth even wider, he definitely would. Not only was he not expecting to be standing in front of Aguni, he was definitely shocked to see Kaori sitting next to him, immediately noticing the handmade bandage covered in blood around her shoulder.

After exchanging a few words with Aguni, Arisu's attention drifted towards the brunette, wincing as he looked at her injury, "Are you okay?"

Kaori nodded, "Yeah... You?"

Arisu shook his head before sitting down as well, his mind running wild with questions.

"Where's Usagi?"

Sadness stretched Arisu's features and Kaori could feel her heart missing a beat. It had not crossed her mind that, maybe, Usagi had died during a game. After all, she was very athletic, a team player and smart.

"I lost her when the King of Spades started shooting."

Kaori relaxed, "Oh, good, good..." before opening her eyes wide at her own words. "Hm, I mean... she's gonna be fine. I'm sure you'll find her."

Arisu nodded with a small smile but it was easy to notice the worry in his eyes, "What about you? Weren't you with Chishiya?"

Next to her, Aguni huffed, "Chishiya... I wouldn't mind bumping into him."

A knot grew in Kaori's throat at the thought of the blonde, "We split up."

"Why?" Arisu asked, watching the girl intently. "You were always together. Even before I joined the Beach."

Damn, can't he read the room? I really love that dude, he actually has a heart and I haven't seen many in here but he's gonna get on my nerves.

"Our partnership wasn't working," she shrugged.

"Oh, but I thought..." Arisu frowned, recalling all the times he had watched the pair interacting, "There was something going on... between you two."

Arisu's words were a slap to her face. She gulped, trying her best to ignore the way her heart leaped in her chest. She didn't know if she was happy to hear such a statement or absolutely terrified. After everything that had happened and with the way things had ended, now wasn't the time for Kaori to think people potentially assumed they were more than simple acquaintances.

Did... everyone think that? I mean... we were kinda close, well... with Chishiya it literally just means breathing in the same room but we weren't flirty or anything. Were we?

A late chuckle broke the silence, "Please... Don't you know Chishiya? He doesn't care about people."

"Except he asked to be in all of your games," Aguni revealed. "At the Beach. Said you were the only person who had a functioning brain besides him."