SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
good word

THE LACK OF CLOTHING was disturbing, to say the least

THE LACK OF CLOTHING was disturbing, to say the least. At dawn, Ann had barged into Kaori's room —totally unannounced, to find the girl staring out the window. Ann had noticed the bedsheets were too neat, deducing the girl had either barely slept or not at all. She had dropped a box filled with various bathing suits onto the mattress, waiting for her to make a choice.

And here she was, wearing a black bikini top with the matching bottom and a pair of denim shorts —Ann had forcefully agreed after understanding that Kaori would not give up on that specific request, as Aguni was wrapping a bracelet around her wrist.

She scrunched up her nose at the number displayed on it, 007. Unintentionally, Kaori's mind wandered back to the very first game, the seven of diamonds, and asked herself if this number was, yet, another coincidence.

"You're an executive member now," Aguni said, "Ranked higher than people who've been here longer."

"After one game?" Kaori questioned, no longer knowing if being an executive member was actually a good strategy, "The test seems a little light, don't you think?"

Kaori noticed the way Aguni's face slowly turned blank as if a veil had covered his sight and that he was recalling a memory, his figure calmly walking down the hall before he stopped, Kaori curiously waiting to see if he would talk.

"Your friend... After you had refused to join, she told me you'd find your way out of any situation," Aguni confessed as he looked over at her, "And that if one person would figure it all out, it would be you."

Kaori didn't need to hear more. No, she didn't want to hear more. Being reminded that Asuka was no longer here was definitely the hardest part of this entire journey. And finding out that Asuka was certainly the main reason she was now in a strategic position at The Beach was making this whole situation even harder at this point.

Aguni was not done speaking, "After last night's game, I knew she had been right."

Kaori nodded, her gaze now purposefully ignoring Aguni, and she started walking away, desperate to lock this information somewhere in her brain and throw the key when Aguni spoke again, "Also, Chishiya put in a good word for you. And he never does that."

Kaori could have never walked away faster. It was like her body was acting for her, taking the decision to part ways with the informations she had just received. For once I could've just kept my mouth shut, but no, I needed to know why I was offered a high rank. Stupid need for validation when I'm just another selfish bitch willing to let my best friend die so I can stay alive a little longer.

She made her way outside, rolling her eyes at the amount of people already drinking alcohol, jumping into the pool and making out pretty much everywhere.

She sat on a deckchair, carefully observing everyone when Tatta obstructed her vision, a large smile on his face and a mug in his hand, "Hi Kaori! I made this for you!"