THIRTY ONE

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE
fun hazard and confessions

CHAPTER THIRTY ONEfun hazard and confessions

     TWO ROUNDS. It was all it took for the shit show to begin.

Genki was dead, lied to by his former partner —a poor boy who had been tormented by Genki himself. And, even though watching Genki's picture turning off on the large screen didn't evoke a single bit of compassion in Kaori, she knew that the game was about to move faster from now on.

As she had planned, all it took was a first lie to reveal people's nature.

"Say... He's probably the Jack," Urumi motioned for the trembling boy with a head flick. "He lied and killed that guy. Let's kill him on this round."

"You mean you want us to lie to him?" Meisa whispered.

"I mean, he's clearly the Jack. Even if he's not, he's dangerous," Urumi pointed out calmly. "Let's kill him now while we can."

Kaori's eyes focused on Akifumi, nervously playing with his fingers on the other side of the central guardroom. She didn't need to be a genius to know that boy wasn't the Jack. His nerves were taking the best of him, glued on every single part of his body.

Also, the Jack would never risk being discovered by lying so bluntly and so early into the game.

She bit her lower lip, refraining from opening her mouth. For all she knew, going against Urumi's plan would cause her downfall and she couldn't risk her own life.

Selfishly, she silently walked away, going downstairs with the sole purpose of ignoring her desire to snap at Urumi and warn Akifumi. Maybe there would be coffee somewhere.

The food court looked as creepy as the rest of the building. Tables and benches were scattered on one end and entire racks were filled with various snacks, drinks and even a few microwaves.

Kaori's face contorted with disgust at the sight of instant coffee boxes. "I don't know who's in charge of this... whatever this place is, but you should consider dropping a coffee machine every now and then. You know, for the sanity of us down here!"

Right when the words left her frustrated mouth, she saw the whole group she had wanted to avoid for a little while walking in. Chishiya was the only one to react at her little outburst, letting out a chuckle as he stood next to her, staring at the snacks.

Kaori leaned against the shelves, crossing her arms over her chest. "Oh, that's funny to you, uh?"

"Too much coffee is bad for your health," he said, grabbing a bag of cookies.

"Who cares?" Kaori huffed, toying with the coffee box in front of her. "If it's bad for my health, at least it should always taste good."

Kaori had never intently drank this type of coffee. And whenever she had, it would have been forced down her throat by someone who hadn't been kind enough to tell her it wasn't actual coffee.