THIRTY EIGHT

CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT
fatal face-off

     "HOW LONG ARE WE GONNA STAY HERE?" a woman's voice grumbled outside the museum

     "HOW LONG ARE WE GONNA STAY HERE?" a woman's voice grumbled outside the museum. "We're not getting the King of Spades like—"

"Shh."

The woman let out a groan before sliding her back against the car, carelessly tapping her fingers against her leg prosthesis. She didn't understand why Aguni had decided to take a break in front of this game arena after a random girl had walked in ten minutes prior.

They were supposed to go after the King of Spades, not try out for the Queen of Diamonds.

On the other side of the street, a clicking sound echoed. It was faint but loud enough to attract the duo's attention.

Heiya rolled her eyes as she looked at the blimp above the museum. It was still there and didn't seem ready to be consumed by any fire. Whoever walked inside the museum had lost.

But the girl was quick to furrow her eyebrows when the doors opened and a brunette walked out of the museum. Dressed just like the girl who had walked in earlier.

From the distance, Heiya couldn't observe her features clearly but she looked pretty.

At the exact same time, a booming sound could be heard and the blimp exploded, the Queen of Diamonds' card crushed by the flames.

Kaori looked up as if she needed confirmation of her victory. Chills ran down her spine at the sight and she wished things would have turned out differently for the Queen. From their very brief conversation nearing the end of the game, Kaori could tell the woman was a nice person.

Well... I guess it's time to find shelter and think of which game I'll go for next.

"Kaori."

Her eyes opened wide when she looked ahead, facing a man she thought had died a long time ago. Aguni was standing in front of her with an equally star struck expression plastered on his face.

"Aguni..." Kaori breathed out. "You... you're alive!"

Aguni nodded, quickly glancing at the burning blimp before making eye contact with Kaori once more, "And I'm not surprised to find you here."

Kaori was still standing in disbelief, wondering how he was physically able to come out of the flames inside the Beach's compound with perfect skin.

A woman emerging from the side interrupted her thoughts. Kaori immediately noticed her leg prosthesis, raising her eyebrows at the sight. She was carrying a bow over her shoulder and looked like she was coming right out of a video game.

Damn... I don't know what happened to her but she's badass.

"I'm Heiya."

"Kaori."