ONE

CHAPTER ONE
gas cooker hunt

     KAORI liked her routine

KAORI liked her routine. Everyday, she would wake up at 8:20 in the morning, then proceed to lay in bed for ten minutes before preparing some coffee —she had an italian coffee maker and would argue for hours with anyone telling her another way of making coffee was better, and hopping in the shower.

After getting ready and drinking her coffee, she would go out for a walk, then order some coffee in a small place where the baristas actually knew what great coffee tasted like and, finally, she would open her store.

And, on the rare days where Kaori wouldn't follow this specific routine, she followed another one very closely. On Sundays, for example, her alarm would be deactivated —meaning she could sleep longer, but she would never sleep past 9:30 in the morning. She would allow herself a cup of coffee before taking a shower but she would always be ready by eleven. The rest of her day would entirely depend on her mood even though she would either go to the library, the museum or the movie theater.

Today, before she would have to start her workday, she was to meet up with Asuka for a coffee in Shibuya, a few streets away from her store but in the way more dynamic part of the neighborhood, the one she didn't like that much because of all the people and the noise.

Again, it was a part of her routine. Once a week, she would have a coffee with her best friend, Asuka, and the two women would catch up on each other's lives, even though Kaori knew she would mostly be the one listening as her own life wasn't as eventful as one would think.

Kaori wasn't mad as this thought crossed her mind. She was more than glad to live a peaceful life, it gave her more time to notice the little things someone else wouldn't see because of everything going on in their life.

A sparkle drew her attention to the sky and she frowned as what seemed to be fireworks flashed abover her head. Fireworks... in the morning? What kind of idiocy is this?

She shrugged and crossed the street, pushing the door leading to the coffee shop as a genuine smile stretched her lips at the sight of Asuka holding two fuming cups in her hands, "There's my favorite girl!"

Kaori chuckled, grabbing the cup that Asuka was lifting in her direction, "Judging by your smile, I guess it's safe for me to say you had a great date last night?"

Kaori hadn't really guessed by her friend's smile, Asuka was the type of person to carry a joyful expression from morning to dawn even when she was going through the absolute worst. It wasn't the smile but the outfit. The previous day, Asuka had sent her a dozen pictures of herself wearing different outfits, begging for Kaori's help.

And Asuka hadn't changed, meaning she didn't go back to her place after the date.

Kaori involuntarily tightened her grip on the coffee cup, frowning as she could hear some screaming coming from right outside. She made eye contact with Asuka and she swore the girl looked absolutely terrified for less than a second.