17

••• 2 WEEKS LATER •••
••• SAMS POV •••

I had just gotten back from a school retreat yesterday. The retreat was 2 weeks long and no phones or laptops. Matt made dinner the night I got back, but I saw no one else. The first thing I did today was run to the Starbucks in town.

"Hi, how can I help you?" The lady with cherry red hair asked when I approached the counter.

"Hi," I greeted her back, "I applied for a job and I'm suppose to meet with the manager today."

"Of course!" The girl smiled "Wait right here, I'll go get him."

I leaned on the counter top, patiently waiting.

"Look who came back from the dead." I familiar voice said from behind the counter, "Where you been for two weeks?"

I just looked at him astonished, this can't be happening.

He sarcastically extended his hand for a shake, "Hayes Grier." He introduced himself, "Manager."

"You're kidding me right?"

He shook his head with a chuckle. Hayes jumped on the counter and swung his legs onto the other side, he walked to the chairs as I followed.

"Are you seriously going to interview me?" I whined.

"Yes and no."

I looked at him confused.

"I'm not actually going to interview you. But stay and just hang out with me for an hour and you got the job."

I shrugged and sat back in the chair, easy enough.

"So since when do you work? Selling drugs wasn't bringing in enough cash?" I barked.

"Ouch." He playfully put his hand over his heart, "Damn Sam I thought we were friends."

I gave him a sassy smile.

"I hope you know I've been slowing down on all that." Hayes said with a slightly whispered voice.

"Really?"

He nodded, "I've been getting help, like real help."

"What made you decide to do that?"

He took in a small breath, "You."

I clammed up, looking away from his face.

"I don't want you to be afraid of me Sam." He said.

"I'm not afraid of-"

"Then why can't you look me in the eyes?"

I didn't answer or look at him. I wasn't scared of him. I was only nervous.

"If this is suppose to be an interview, I have a question." He changed the subject, he seemed to hold his breath before asking, "What's going on with you and Matt?"

I hardly looked up at him, off guard at his question.

"Sam it's just a question." Hayes tried so hard to smile but I could see past it. "Are you guys flirting, talking, hooking up-"

"We're dating." I blurted.

•••HAYES POV•••

I felt my heart bend and flip over backwards, landing flat down on my chest.

"Y-you're what?"

I could tell she didn't want to say it again. Sam read me too easily. I looked at the ground because I didn't know how to react.