Chapter 19

It had been days since I had talked to Eryn. He didn’t email me, and every time I went onto Skype he was offline. I tried to get my mind off of how upset he was by focusing on schoolwork and thinking about Rikert. We had sex at his house right after school on Monday and Wednesday. I wanted to lay in bed with him for hours on end but his parents were coming home early on Monday and the other time he had plans with his friends.

Now, I was trying to actually admit to my parents what I had been keeping to myself for the last few weeks. Phoebe was sitting silently at my side. I could tell that she was practically itching to spill the beans. She was too excited about this. The only reason I even let her stay was because she’d begged me so incessantly.

My apa was sitting in front of the computer, only half paying attention. My dad was cooking dinner. The entire time I tried to talk to them, they’d get distracted. It was driving me nuts that wouldn’t focus on me when I was trying to tell them something important.

I kept seeing Bradley run past the screen. The laptop was sitting on the dinner table. I could hear Garner barking madly in the background and it pulled at my heartstrings because it made me miss him and Crow. Sacha and Ariel were bickering in the kitchen. That was the reason my apa was currently away from the computer.

I sighed. “This is bullshit.”

Phoebe squeezed my arm. “Don’t worry. They’re just busy.”

Always too busy for me, I thought to myself. “I know. I’ll just sit here and be patient. Like always.”

Apa came back and sat down in his chair again. “Sorry, Caise. What were you saying? Something about French?”

He was wrong. I’d been telling him about how I’d just aced my German oral exam the other day. But I brushed it off because I knew it wouldn’t do any good to correct him. Phoebe sensed this and gave me a small smile.

“Yeah,” I muttered. “Anyway, I’ve got something to tell you--”

I heard a loud scream and a bark. “I’ll be right back,” my apa said before he jumped up and ran in the direction of the living room.

“Uncle Oli,” Ariel wailed. “Garner stole my biscuits!”

I rolled my eyes. It was always something. Never any time for me when I needed it, but they loved blaming stuff on me when something went wrong. I hated it so much.

“Apa seriously!” I said once he came back. “I have something important to say. To both you and dad.”

Connor looked at me with a mix of worry and confusion. Then he leaned back and called Oliver over. I felt my nerves pick up once they were both sitting in front of the computer screen. It had been ages since they’ve sat down and listened so intently to me.

“What’s going on, son?” my dad asked.

Phoebe nudged me. I sighed. “Okay, so I’ve been thinking a lot lately about myself and stuff.” I looked down at my hands anxiously before glancing back up through my lashes. “And I don’t really know how else to say this, but I’m gay.”

My parents’ reaction was something I’d been worrying about. Both of them were frozen. They had shock all over their faces. Even their jaws were dropped, mouths gaping at the words I had just told them. Apparently they’d never expected that one of their kids would be like them.

“Are you sure?” my dad asked after he regained his composure.

“Yeah,” I murmured.

“You’re not just trying to pull another stunt, are you?” my apa said.