Chapter 42

dedicated to my lovely friend, Ro, because it's her birthday and she's awesome and made all my covers. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BABE!! :D

After that embarrassing disaster called buying coffee, Kieran led me out of the shop by the hand. When we started back towards the car, I stared at the ground in front of me with my other hand holding a hot white chocolate mocha. I hadn’t even taken a sip yet, and I guess that whole picture of me was what got Kieran to speak up.

“So, that wasn’t so bad, was it?” he asked tersely.

I shrugged and stopped next to the passenger door. Kieran let go of my hand and dug into his pocket for the car keys. He unlocked my door and opened it for me. I got into my seat and waited for Kieran to get in the car.

Once he did, I said a bit sarcastically, “Were you even in the room or was that Alien Kieran back there?”

My sarcasm was allowed, in my opinion. I had been nervous about going into the building because I had no idea what we would be walking into. And the apprehension wasn’t for nothing. As soon as I walked through the door, a group of four girls around our age were blatantly staring at me like I had horns on my head or something.

I tried to ignore it, but it was really difficult. When we walked by them, they immediately started whispering. And let’s just say, they weren’t exactly quiet or subtle about it. And unfortunately those girl weren’t the only problem.

There was a group of jock-type guys and a few barbie-looking girls sitting together that were giving Kieran and me death glares the entire time. I could tell just by the way they looked at us and our connected hands that they thought we were disgusting or something.

Kieran laughed as equally sarcastic as I had been. “Good to know you can still be a little snarky. It wasn’t that bad.”

“It was bad enough,” I harrumphed.

“You’ll get over it,” Kieran said unhelpfully. He put the car and drive and we headed towards the highway. “Now stop complaining and drink your coffee before it gets cold.”

“Screw you,” I whispered quietly. The only reason I knew Kieran heard it was because he chuckled. I rolled my eyes out the window and asked, “What are we doing now anyway?”

“Going to the mall,” he responded as if it were clear as day, “Just like I promised you.”

I frowned. “I didn’t ask for that to be a promise, though.”

Kieran waved me off with his hands. “Doesn’t matter. I want to go window shopping. And we can eat all sorts of fattening junk food that we don’t need.”

“That’s reassuring,” I muttered.