Chapter 20

There was a loud pounding on the door after about twenty more minutes. Then Patrick’s annoying and taunting voice filtered into my room.

“Time for dinner, guys,” he said in a sing-song voice.

“Fuck you,” I yelled at him. He was mocking me.

I heard him laugh and walk away. I threw my notebook on the floor. Kieran gave me a reassuring look and then we were on our way up to the dining room. We walked in and took our seats next to each other and across from Patrick.

Kristian was already sitting at one head of the table. A minute later, Marck came in carrying the last plate of food. They’d made steak and baked potatoes. Various vegetables were in bowls in the center of the table. Marck took his seat and we all tucked into the food.

“How did you boys meet?” Marck asked.

I glanced up and saw he was looking at me. I swallowed my mouthful of food before answering him. “We have French three together. Kieran and I sit next to each other.”

Marck smiled. “That’s nice. Patrick have you ever hung out with Kieran?”

I bit my lips to hold back the smirk. Kieran’s eyes widened a little but he stuffed another bite of food into his mouth to occupy himself. I couldn’t get over how hilarious this was.

Patrick raised an eyebrow in disgust at Kieran. “Me? Be friends with him? Fuck no. He’s annoying as hell and such a whore.”

“Hey,” I yelled angrily in defense of my friend.

“Patrick Drake!” Marck yelled. “That’s disrespectful.”

“Apologize now,” Kristian said, glaring at his son.

Patrick hesitated, but we all knew how incredibly pissed he’d just made his parents. “Sorry,” he muttered.

“It’s alright,” Kieran said quietly. I could almost sense his humiliation and awkwardness. I shook my head. My cousin was such a twat.

“If you can’t say anything nice, then keep your damn mouth shut,” Marck said.

Patrick curled his lip up and focused on his food. It got quiet for a little while as everyone went back to eating. Then Kristian and Marck asked about our schoolwork and grades to make small talk.

“I have to ask,” Kristian said. “Are you two dating?”

I saw Patrick suddenly spark to attention. I gritted my teeth and Kieran started to chuckle quietly. This was sort of like deja vu from when we’d had dinner with his mom three weeks ago.

“No,” I said calmly to my uncles. “We’re just friends.”

“Hmm, fair enough,” Kristian said.

“Actually, pops,” Patrick said with a smug look, “Caise does have a boyfriend.”

As if there weren’t a better cue than that, all eyes were suddenly on me. I felt my throat go dry and I froze. This was exactly what I didn’t want to happen. Patrick was such a little wanker for this.

“You do?” Marck asked, surprised.

“Uhh, yeah,” I said hesitantly.

“Well who is it?”

“Erm.”

“Yeah, Caise, who is it?” Patrick asked.

“He doesn’t really wanna say,” Kieran answered for me.

“Closet case, then?” Kristian asked.

“Honey,” Marck said.

“I was just asking!”