Chapter 3

I ran a hand nervously through my hair. “He kissed me.”

“Wait, who?” Bradley asked.

I shoved him in his shoulder a little. “You know who, idiot!”

Bradley shook his head. “I just can’t believe it. Since when is Eryn gay?”

“He said since always. I just don’t know what the hell happened. It was so weird.”

“Well he kissed you, duh. You just told me that.” I glared at him. “Why didn’t you push him away or something?”

I sighed loudly. “It was hard to think of anything at all with my best friend shoving his tongue down my throat.”

“You let him do that?” Bradley asked, eyes wide. “Are you gay?”

I punched him really hard in the arm. “No!”

“I think someone’s gay,” he said in a sing-song voice.

I gave him a menacing death glare. “Say it one more time and I’ll fecking murder you.”

Bradley held his hands up defensively. “Sorry.”

“Boys, come on!” I heard my dad yell down the stairs. “We’ve gotta get to the airport and it’s a long drive. Let’s go!”

I sighed and got to my feet. “I swear if you tell dad or apa about this...”

“I won’t,” Bradley said. “I promise.”

I frowned and looked around me. This would be the last time I saw my basement for nearly six months. I was going to be leaving behind everything that was familiar to me. And also things that were new to me. Like the encounter between my best friend and I the night before.

I shook the thoughts from my head and put my rucksack on. I followed my little brother up the stairs. I knelt down next to the front door. Crow was sitting there. I smiled sadly at him. I pulled the huge dog into a tight hug. I gave him a couple kisses and patted his head affectionately.

Then Garner came running at me. I laughed and let him jump on me, nearly knocking me over. I let him lick at my face a few times. I did my best to hug the squirmy puppy and then pushed him off so I could stand up. My dad grabbed him by his collar so that I could go outside without him following me.

Bradley patted my shoulder. I felt like crap leaving my dogs behind. I was so going to miss them. With Crow being so old, I was worried I’d never get to see him again. I’d already thrown that in my parent’s faces. They knew I would never forgive them if he died while I was in America.

Bradley and I went out to the SUV and got into the way back seats. Sacha and Ariel were already seated in the middle row. I thought all three of them were lucky. They got to skip school and have a three day weekend because they were coming with to drop me off at the airport. I ruffled Ariel’s hair as I passed her. She giggled at me and went back to playing with her tablet. She was such a cutie.

The drive to Queenstown was so boring. I spent the entire trip trying not to break down. I wasn’t one for being emotional but this really did suck. I had to leave everything I knew. Just because I was a horrible kid. It made me wonder that if I’d turned out differently, would I still be going away? I couldn’t even be sure. Hell, maybe if I was a positive and happy person in a different life, I might have been looking forward to this.

I sighed. I’d never know. The past was already completed. I couldn’t change it now.

**

The goodbyes were awful. Ariel started crying as I hugged her for the last time. She was a bit of a mess and it made me feel completely horrible. I’d known her since she was a baby. She absolutely loved me. I had to admit it was going to be weird not having her around for a while.

Sacha looked a little teary eyed as I’d pulled away from her hug. She leaned up on her tiptoes and gave me a soft kiss on my cheek. I gave her a weary, but reassuring smile as she took her little sister’s hand in hers.

I looked over and saw Bradley watching me. He looked like he was thinking of something else. I frowned. “Come here,” I said.

Bradley wrapped his arms around me. I squeezed him tightly. “Keep an eye on Eryn. After last night, I’m kind of really worried about him,” I whispered.

Bradley nodded. “Sure thing.”

I slapped him on the back a few times and we stepped apart. “Make sure Crow and Garner get their walks everyday, too.”

Bradley laughed. “I got it, I got it.”

I pointed a finger at him. “You better.”

“Alright, get over here,” my apa said. “It’s my turn.”

I tried my best to smile at him as he hugged me tightly. He was the good cop between my two fathers. I knew they both loved me, but my apa had a weakness when it came to me. He always got me out of trouble. I was going to miss him so much. Even if I was mad at him for letting my dad send me away.

I kissed him on the cheek before finally turning to my dad. He looked a bit guilty. I wanted to smile but I couldn’t. I was kind of glad that he was regretting this decision. But I also knew that it was too late to change the plans now. No matter what, I’d be going through security in about two minutes. Then in an hour I’d be on an eighteen hour plane ride.

I gave my dad a hug. We said our final goodbyes. Then I bent down and picked up my two suitcases and situated my rucksack over my shoulders. I smiled sadly at everyone. Then I turned around without another glance and walked over to the line for the security check.

The lady held out her hand for my ticket. She smiled cheerily at me. I didn’t even care. My anger and frustration was coming back to me. So I just stared blankly at her. I didn’t feel bad about it at all. I was back to hating everything.