Chapter 17

I quickly shut my locker when I saw Kieran walk by. I hitched my bag over my shoulder and ran to catch up with him.

“Hey,” I said, touching his arm. I fell into step beside him as we headed to French class. “Are you still mad at me?”

He looked over and sighed. “No, I never really was.”

“But you were ignoring me yesterday!” I said.

“Only because you hung up on me the other night when I was trying to be a good friend.”

“Yeah, but that’s because you pissed me off,” I said. “You were being rude.”

Kieran chuckled and bumped into me lightly. “Whatever, you can calm down now.”

I looked at him, a little hopeful. “Are we good now?”

“You still hanging out with Rikert?” He raised an eyebrow.

“Well, yeah,” I said.

“Then no.”

“Kieran,” I complained.

He smirked. “Don’t get your panties in a twist, jeez. I’m joking.”

“Better be.”

“I still wanna know why you’re doing this, though. Why the sudden change?”

I blinked at him a few times as we walked towards the stairs. “Okay,” I drawled. “Have you ever liked someone so much and they liked you back? And they were so nice to you and they cared about you?”

Kieran turned to me with a blank face as we ascended the stairs. “Honestly? No. Never.”

“You’re so daft,” I muttered. “Anyway, that’s how it is with Rikert.”

Kieran rolled his eyes. “I’ve known him a while and he’s never been like that with anyone. Girl or guy.”

“Well he is with me,” I said simply.

“Fine, I can tell I’m not gonna change your mind,” he said.

“You’re right about that.” I looked around and made sure no one was paying attention to us. I whispered, “Rikert asked me to be his boyfriend.”

Kieran’s eyes went comically wide. “No way, shut the fuck up!”

I smirked and shook my head. “It’s true. And I said yes, obviously.”

“Hmm,” he said slowly. “Maybe he is different now.”

“He is for me,” I said, smiling to myself.

“You can quit gloating now,” Kieran laughed. He stopped and looked at me. “You know, you do realize that you’re not going to be here forever, right?”

I frowned at him. Of course he would be the one to bring that up. I’d been trying to push that out of my mind entirely since I started really like Rikert. Why would I want to think about having to leave in a few months when I could focus on just being with my boyfriend and making it worthwhile?

“Way to ruin the moment, Kier,” I muttered.

“Well you have to think about, Caise. What happens when you go back home and you like never get to see him?”

“I don’t know,” I said truthfully.

Kieran sighed lightly. “What’s the point if you never get to see him again?”

I pursed my lips and gave him a little glare. “Oh just shut up. I don’t want to think about that right now.”

“Caise...”